Hello, I'm currently a 31 male and have ADHD. I've been on concerta, adderall (max dose 30mg XR), and now I'm taking Vyvanse. I also take Effexor 75mg every night before bed, due GAD experienced since I was a little guy.
Results of ADHD Meds Attempted:
-Concerta completely tweaked me out and I got nothing accomplished. It felt like I was on speed and could not think clear, and I got an extremely cold feeling and experienced anxiety.. so a definite no go there
- Adderall was an improvement over Concerta but still left me with too much stimulant and less clear thinking. I proceeded to use Adderall for over a year until I had a friend told me about Vyvanse.
My doc prescribed me 70mg Vyvanse, to compare with my Adderall dose previously prescribed. When feeling the effects of Vyvanse it is truly a saving grace and I really feel "limitless". I think clear, I don't feel over stimulated or the out of body experience like other ADHD drugs. I'm in an industry that I must utilize critical problem solving skills, think extremely creative and relay high end technical knowledge to CIO's and executives on a daily basis. Vyvanse allows me to gather my thoughts very easily when presenting information, no depressed thoughts, I can focus on the task at hand, it turns me into a overall rockstar but then there is the strange side effects... please keep reading..
Strange Effects on Vyvanse Experienced:
- I'll be working through a high end problem at work 2-3 hours after taking my 70mg dose, feeling great then BAM!!! instantly depressed and anxiety, I no longer want to work on what I'm tackling and I'm hardcore sad (which is strange because I'm not that type of guy) The best was I can describe the effect is one moment you're in the zone and the next moment you just woke up from a deep sleep and someone tells you your grandma died.. lol
- Running a war room meeting with 25 people.. problem solving on the dry erase board and then BAM!!! I don't even want to be in the room or talk to anyone..
- Chatting with a coworker about their weekend. We'll be mid-conversation and BAM!! I just want to get the hell out of there.
- Painting my basement, listening to classic rock jams (you know.. when rock was rock) and then BAM!! I hate everything around me and want to just stop.
The 30-60 min crashes remind me of an awful emotional rollercoaster and will occur between 5-10 times a day. I typically attempt to counter act the effects with a cup of coffee and they usually go away about 30-60 minutes later. I've also tried taking a .25mg Xanax to counteract the roller coaster feeling with limited results, plus I don't want to take Xanax everyday.
My questions are..
- Has anyone ever experienced episodes like this when taking Vyvanse? My doctor has never seen this result but admits he does not prescribe Vyvanse it often
- Is the dose too high?
- Should I split the 70mg dose and mix the first half with water and then again around lunch?
- When I take the pill I only take with water.
- I know this is not advised but I took two 70mg at one time to see if the effects would go away. Strangely the effects felt exactly the same after doubling the dose.
- Can I take an over the counter that will eliminate this effect?
Bottom Line is that I really like the feeling of the medication when feeling the effects but cannot handle the swift emotional breakdown episodes. Any information anyone could provide would be highly valued and appreciated.