Strange discolorations left behind from acne

For the past six or seven-odd years I've been enduring mild-to-strong acne, and as of late I've technically beaten the majority of it thanks to removing greasy food from my diet, as well as washing my face daily with benzoyl peroxide and drinking way more water. Everything about my complexion, with the exception of occasional acne and the fact I'm 21 and it still hasn't gone away, would be completely fine if not for one unusual problem.

Since February of this year, whenever a bit of acne shows up on my face, no matter if I pick it, treat it or leave it alone, it always leaves behind a red discoloration. I began pondering whether or not this is acne scarring, but when I rub my fingers over the spots they are totally smooth, just as if I had rubbed a marker on my skin. This isn't just happening on my face, either: these discolorations are appearing on my back, legs and anywhere else I get bumps.

When I remove blackheads, even when I do it in a relatively rough manner, they do not leave behind any of these inexplicable color spots. It looks just like there was never a blackhead or even anything to suggest one was there to begin with.

I'm suspicious that I may have developed some kind of hormonal or chemical imbalance, or developed a skin disorder of some indeterminate name. I was planning on visiting a specialist for this, but it cost way too damn much so I just came on here.

I really hope someone can help me out. My face is literally just piling up with these little things, not to mention I still have the same marks this all started with. Did my body just decide to stop healing up my acne? Or is it a type of acne showing up on me? I will be extremely grateful for somebody's help.

Thank you for reading.

-Charles
Hi and hope you are doing well.
A clinical examination is necessary for correct diagnosis and treatment of your condition. The marks which are left behind after acne could be due to  post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation or scars left behind by your acne lesions. In scarring the collagen in the skin is damaged from inflammation. This results in permanent changes in texture in the skin. It is known that cane can lead to permanent scarring which can be disfiguring. Discoloration from acne is usually easier to treat compared to scarring. There are many medications available which can lighten this discoloration. The few over the counter creams which contain 2 percent hydroquinone, a bleaching agent or with combination of medications like hydroquinone with tretinoin plus a cortisone cream can be helpful. It is best to get assessed by a dermatologist. There are many new techniques available like laser and other modalities which can help. A clinical examination is necessary before deciding the appropriate treatment for your condition. For more queries and concerns visit a dermatologist. Hope it helped.
Best luck and regards!
Thank you for responding. I really appreciate someone wanted to help.

I understand that there are creams which can lighten the spots, but these discolorations are appearing at a rate of about 3-5 a week, and though I've been trying to use lightening creams, they either don't appear to work or they take absolutely forever.

I am looking for an internal solution which will just stop these things at the source, but I don't know of any. Like I said, this has never happened to me before because the acne would just simply go away, but these don't. I want to understand why these are happening and what I can do. I am not so concerned with helping what has already occurred because it's just happening at too fast a rate for any lightening creams to be any help, and don't forget, these things appear on my back, belly, legs and practically anywhere a bump can appear. What about those? And after I get the "source", will all the discolorations eventually leave over time?

I will be visiting a doctor this Saturday and I might tell you what he/she recommends. Thank you.

You are reading content posted in the Acne Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions