Need some advise

Ok... I'm 13days clean from opiates. I went to treatment and was on a catapress patch until 2days ago. I thought I was over withdrawal symptoms but the day after I took the patches off I started with not being able to sleep, anxiety, and going to the bathroom A LOT... What is up? How long am I gonna have to go through this? Has anyone had this experience? Or know anything about this? I'm determined I don't want to relapse but this is getting old! Any advise or words of wisdom??!!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
what were you taking? The catapres needs to be tapered off or it can cause a spike in blood pressure .
Helpful - 0
Hey advisg... I've tried to send this post like 5times! Ha ha hope I've figured it out now... Ok so whatever the problem was I'm guessing it's over now- I think they did taper me off the catapres because they only gave me oral catapres for 3days then sent me home on the patch for 12days... However I took the patch off like 3days early because I think my bp was bottoming out I would stand up and my vision would turn black so maybe taking them off too early is the explanation for my continued wd symptoms??  
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
it takes time to heal. the severe physical symptoms can last 7 days. the anxiety, sleep problems last much longer. are your bathroom issues now resolved?  it is important to eat healthy food, take vitamins, exercise helps with the production of natural brain chemistry, serotonins,endrophins and dopamines. drink plenty of fluids.
congratulations on your clean time. i calculated about 30 days. that is great.
there are natural over the counter sleep aids, the main ingredients are valerian root and melatonin, look for sleep by nature made or alteril.
please try to be patient. you didnt become and addict in a month and it will take a few months for your brain chemistry to regulate.
are you attending any support groups? na/aa, faith based such as celebrate recovery or overcomers? counseling with an addiction specialist
or therapist?
recovery is a marathon not a sprint. keep fighting the good fight. keep on truckin, you will feel better each day.
debbie
Helpful - 0
Thats does sound like your BP did go too low and it happens. I am gald the you are feeling better .Have you found an aftercare program >
Helpful - 0
Thank you for the advise I woke up this am with not such a positive attitude for whatever reason and reading ur post reminded me to give myself the patients I award others... I love the marathon analogy and the reminder that I didn't start become an addict over night and therefore can't be fixed as quickly... As far as exercising no.. I keep planning on starting to work out I know it would help however I can't seem to find time with work, being a mom and a wife, and planning for the holidays and all the activities that go along with it - not to mention the loose ends I'm still trying to work out( bills etc.)it seems as though every moment is filled which I'm guessing may not be good for recovery as it's been hard to stay positive lately... Another one of my problems as u and avisg pointed out I need to start therapy! I had an appointment wed with what I thought was going to be a therapist and turned out to be more of a medication management type nurse practitioner which doesn't really fit me... I live in a small town so my options are somewhat limited the aa/na meetings in my town (that I know of) are at 8pm on tues which doesn't work 4 me at all as I work from 6am-6pm and have a small child... I no I kinda have a lot going on but I'm open to any suggestions as it feels like I've gotten off track and things r beginning to pile up... Like I've said before I am determined I DO NOT want to relapse!! Everyday is a struggle and my motivation is somewhat lacking I'm feeling a little depressed and not sure if this is just part of recovery or if I should be concerned... but on a positive note it has gotten easier not to automatically think of "solving" my problems with pills :) which for me feels like a HUGE step in the right direction  
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes changing the way you think is very important. Pills are not the answer they are the problem. Just take one day at a time. Take it as it comes. As far as exercising is concerned even getting in a walk after dinner with your family is good. Start walking around the block. Do you have a bike? Taking a ride is good. Doesn't have to be a huge intensive workout. Starting small is fine.
Too bad the appt for therapy didn't work out. Just try again.
If you can't find an na/aa meeting maybe you could look for their books and do some reading.
Depression is very common after withdrawal it has to do with the brain chemistry being out of balance.  You are already 30 days into your recovery. You are doing it. Keep up the good work. You should be very proud of yourself. I am. Keeping yourself busy is helping you heal faster.
Were you able to look for the natural sleep aids?
Hugs and prayers for continued recovery
Debbie
Helpful - 0
No I worked 6-6 yesterday so I didn't get to look for the sleep aids I also work 6-6 today however I'm going after work as I was up until 1am and and have to wake up at 4:30am for work so 3.5 hrs of sleep is not gonna cut it! I no that is contributing greatly to my apparent bad mood- the funny thing is I have the most trouble getting to sleep when I know I have to so I NO its in my head just not sure how to get it out of my head :)
I work a swing shift that allows every other week off and now that u mention it on, what I call, my "short week" (the weeks where I have 4days off in a row) last week & I really had a tough time... I mean I stayed plenty busy- there is always SO much to do :) but I guess I had more time to think which made it harder...
Starting small is a GREAT idea... It sorta uses a tip they taught us that I had forgotten- don't think of things a huge mound of problems take one at a time just like u said take one day at a time... I think that applies to this as well I don't have to start straight back on my intensive hour workout I was doing a year ago- taking a walk would be an easy and do-able start...
Thanks again 4 the words of encouragement they are really helpful and I appreciate them a lot  
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
hey how are you feeling?? did you start taking any walks yet? how is your sleeping? were you able to get the otc sleep aids?
keep moving forward, one step at a time. day by day. you are doing it. you are getting better.
hugs and blessings
debbie
Helpful - 0
im on day 31 off opiats, and im still withdrawing, the runs stop on about week 3 for me ,i still get cramps and goose bumps but not so frequent anymore, stay strong man your doing so well i no its not ezey, i  overdosed on catapress 7 days ago, never had it b4 my friend said it would help with leg cramps, was in hospital for the night with a resting heart rate of 130 bpm,was off my face lol. u taking it for cramps, i had an oposite reaction cause my blood preasure is fine, i had 3   150mg catapress and thout it would fix my cramps but it didnt lol, had to get stomach pumpd, drink heeps of water and vitamins,  stay strong its hard but possible. break the chain and get your life bak
Helpful - 0
Strite up find a 6 month to a year rehab go there thats wat I did I was still not the same after 3 months it all depends how bad u were
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
I don't have experience with the press or patch you are speaking of. But do have experience with opiate addiction.  The one thing I know for certain is, this may be getting old, but if you use the chase of the drug gets way older. I promise it will get better one day at a time. Do not let the addiction talk you into making it "better" by picking up.  You know as well as I do that taking the drug will NOT make it better.  I got to the point after 5 days of being without anything and having suffered quite a freezing cold crying , shaking and all the pleasure of withdrawal, I actually yelled out loud in the bath tub where I spent a lot of time that week.  Come on addiction is that all you've got and laughed in his face.   I'm so glad I am not arranging my life around when where how and what people are thinking of my actions, eyes , behavior, lack of interest , humor   etc etc.  Peace my friend!
Helpful - 0
Hi Just checking in to see how you are doing? I hope everything is going well. I had the same thing happen after I came out of alcohol treatment after I got off all the meds they gave me inpatient. I went to my doctor and asked for a sleeping aid. I still went to the bathroom a lot but that was due to my water retention. Let me know how you are doing. Carol
Helpful - 0
You can go to ***********.com. They have a online support chat for NA and AA and I love it. It helps between my meetings and I have a lot of support. Carol
Helpful - 0
hi,  the only thing you can do is ride it out, not what you wanted to hear I'm sure. but your body us now having to learn all over again to make its own endorfins, opiates were doing all that for you but now they are no opiates in you or any substitute, your body had to learn to major its own pain killers again, try to do any thing that will distract you, i know its not easy and the lack of sleep is a killer but you will feel better in a few days,and believe me its much easier than going CT, i was forced to do that a few years ago and it was hell for 3/4 weeks, you can do it,
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Alcohol/Drug Rehab Community