Does methadone make u gain weight

I have heard from many people that methadone makes you gain weight.  the doctor at the clininc and my psychiatrist and my primary care doctor all insit that it doesnt... they say it makes you crave sugar and most people gain the weight because they werent eating right before they started the program, and the done makes you crave sugar.  I need an answer from someone who is actually in the program.  I dont want to hear he said she saids... i need the truth.  I spent 600 dollars on a personal trainer last month and lost 15 pounds and 6% body fat... i dont want that to come back.  HELP
-Mara
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
hummm...interesting.

i'am not on methadone, but i¡d like to share almost a similar experience ( gaining weight ) since i'm clean. The first  weeks after the worst days of wd had gone, i had hugh cravings for sugar and junk food, you know ...and ok, wth, i said to myself  that i would eat whatever i wanted as a sort oof present to myself for being clean....

no way, i put on more than 5 kilos in 3 weeks even if by the end of the first week i had  started exercising ( more or less but i was eating a lot and without order, grr ) so maybe it's true that narcotics make us eat/crave for sugar  and when i left my DOC ( hydros )  i was also addicted to sugar and my body was craving even more  for it  ...

don't know but  i had to stop it, i've  already lost two kilos since i've started a sort of healthy diet trying to keep  the levels of sugar stabilized and that's the point here with sugar...to stop those cravings, we have to eat 5 times a day ( two of them,  just a yoghourt or a piece of fruit but something healthy ) so that we can  keep those leves without highs and downs.

I had cut also in fat, we need fat to function but not sooooo many fat in our food and i'm eating a lot of veggies ( salads, soups ..whatever..),  slow carbos  gives us energy along the day, fiber is also good and proteins, but cut in fat and junk food and eat 5 times a day and maybe even while being on methadone , you can keep the weight ... for sweet cravings, i have dark chocolate and it keeps me calm about sugar :)

as for whole fat dairy products, an adult usually develops an intolerance to the fat in them with the years, that's why so many people stop having swollen ankles and feet just by cutting these products or  eating them low fat  ( you stop retaining fluids...).

i think that if we gain weight is not by miracle, there is always some reason in our diiet or in our way of eating...maybe you can try doing what i'm doing now and works for you too, good luck!
Helpful - 0
here, kane
Helpful - 0
Female 47 on 30 mgs. Yes I gained weight. Most people I see start on this drug gain weight but there a few that don't. Weight can be managed with the usual diet and exercise.
Helpful - 0
The member "sadinmichigan" said in the second comment above - "liquid methadone will also rot your teeth eventually..they call it meth mouth.."

She obviously does not know what she is talking about. If someone has "meth mouth" they have got it from smoking crystal-meth (methamphetamine), it has nothing to do with methadone.

Anyway, when i was taking heroin & smoking crack i became very skinny and would often not eat for several days. When i decided to quit drugs and start taking methadone i noticed that i did gain weight very quickly, but this is probably because my body was used to being starved for long periods of time and then suddenly i was eating regular.

I have now been taking methadone for the past 3 years and i have gained 3 stone in weight. My doctor has recently switched me over to the sugar-free methadone, so hopefully with exercise i can lose this extra weight.
Helpful - 0
wow, that is a pretty strong nickname you've decided on.  way to gain friends and influence people.

Kova
Helpful - 0
wow fool!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community