How do get off Suboxone?

Hi, I have been on 16mg of Suboxone for over 5 years after abusing Oxycontin for less than 2 years.  My mood is content, but I am a shell of a person.  I do not work and I never leave my home.  I get up in the afternoon and go on my laptop until I go to bed around 4am, and then I repeat the same thing the next day.  I am extremely constipated and have no energy.  I know I need to get off Suboxone, but I don't feel strong enough to and the more time that goes by, the weaker I get.  There was only 1 time that I was ready to ween myself off Suboxone.  It was after being on it for 6 months and a psychiatrist had put me on an anti-depressant.  I mentioned to my doctor, that was prescribing the Subs, that I was ready to ween down and he said I shouldn't think about that now.  So here I am, 5 years later.  I get frustrated to why Suboxone affects me so much because I know plenty of other people who take it who can work and function properly.  I used to be a very hard-working, family oriented person and now I don't work, hardly every see my family, and lost touch with most of my friends.  But still, none of this motivates me enough to even go one day without Suboxone.  I've called a few rehab centers, but they only offer like a 5 day detoxification, which makes no sense for the long term nature of Suboxone.  Does anybody have any suggestions or is anyone in a similar situation?

I'd like to make a note, though.  I am not condemning Suboxone.  It stopped my life from spiraling out of control and I know I wouldn't be in this situation if I got some kind of co-therapy when I initially started taking Suboxone.  I am blaming myself and the doctor who only cared about my urine samples every month I saw him.  (Sometimes, I would have to stay in his office bathroom all day until I could produce a sample because the Suboxone also causes extreme urinary retention for me, even though the doctor didn't think that was possible.)  I have a new doctor now who prescribes the Suboxone and thinks everything in my life is going great because I don't know what to tell him.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I was just wondering what you are doing on these forums ??? do yo uown this place or do you want to help people like the rest of us, I dont see why you are attacting people that are trying to help ??? just dont get it ???
Helpful - 0
I talk to people often that I've worked with on subs.  Several are now on this site, and many others have remained friends. This conversation is accomplishing nothing with you.  No one has to listen to me and NO, I don't go from forum to forum looking for anyone.  You don't even know me or my history. If you did you would know that my record of success speaks for itself.  

You're starting to be very insulting, in fact you are attacking me and I am asking you politely to stop it.  I don't appreciate that.  I came here to share some experience and so far I've had nothing but positives with everyone here but you. In 24 hours you have repeatedly attacked me while not one other person has.  In fact I'm working with three people now on sub tapers since I got here.  

I won't be replying to this thread or you anymore as you just want to fuss with me.  I don't argue with anyone.  It serves no purpose.  It's like you're just trying your best to run someone off for no good reason who may happen to have some real knowledge and experience.  End of conversation ... period.  You really know how to make a person feel welcome here.
Helpful - 0
There are a lot of stupid doctors out there as well as a lot of crooked doctors. I think you place too much trust on MD status. Opiate withdrawal will not kill you. Alcohol withdrawal could actually kill you. I don't think there is any harm in some weaning advice.
Helpful - 0
I think you and your girlfriend should read the guidelines
Helpful - 0
Wolverine.....why have you not ever bashed anyone for giving tapering advice on any other pain meds? There are posts on here all the time for people asking a how to taper or how to get off their meds. When it comes to benzos or tramodol people always say it must be tapered due to certain risks. Robert is not telling the guy to just stop cold turkey. He said he would share his knowledge that he has because he has tapered off of it himself and has helped many start the process. He did say in a original post that he is NOT a doctor and that you SHOULD talk with your doctor first. What is wrong with that? It's not like he's telling this guy he needs to get off it asap. He said he's here to help and will offer what advice he has from personal experience.
The original poster also said he respects your concerns and will go over anything Robert says with his doctor. I also respect your concerns. You mentioned in a earlier post asking something like how many people he had tapered off too soon and they went back to their DOC. This guy said he has been on it for 5 years and it has changed him and he is ready to get off but scared. He has already gained some confidence which can be worth so much in getting and staying off pills. Just because you went back to your DOC doesn't mean he will. I would think after being on it for 5 years I would take that chance. He also said his sub doctor hasn't ever offered any kind of aftercare which any addict knows is a crucial part of recovery. It's not like Robert came on here telling everyone to get off sub. People came here asking for help and advice and Robert so happened to say he has experience in it. You voiced your concern which is great so can't we just let it go? I rarely try and get in to any kind of battle on here as it is not the reasons we came here. You said you didn't like what Robert had to offer, but it seems like many do. You are the only one that has bashed him. Why not bash everyone else that has offered advice? I think if you saw Roberts original post you would see he has plenty of experience on it. In his original post he also said that anything he says should be gone over with your doctor before doing anything. Right there says it all.
Let's just all let it go and get back on track. Let's not hold any grudges. I think everyone here has some great advice to offer including you. All the original poster is doing is getting knowledge from others which one of his doctors said to do and relaying it to his sub doctor. He made that clear. With him saying that it should put your mind at ease. I understand your concerns which is great considering we don't really know each other. It just goes to show that you care as does Robert. I think you'd be surprised if you got to know Robert. He may benefit you in your recovery and vice versa.
Can we please get back on track on all of this? No hard feelings Wolverine. I do understand your concerns and I think you are just looking out for his best interests. I just think the more knowledge one can learn, the better. That is as long as they go over it with their doctor which Robert told him to do and the poster said he would do.
Best of luck to everyone in their recovery.
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Lets get back to the subject at hand here and stop the bickering.  Take what you want from the posts and leave the rest or the thread will be taken down.......sara
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community