How do get off Suboxone?

Hi, I have been on 16mg of Suboxone for over 5 years after abusing Oxycontin for less than 2 years.  My mood is content, but I am a shell of a person.  I do not work and I never leave my home.  I get up in the afternoon and go on my laptop until I go to bed around 4am, and then I repeat the same thing the next day.  I am extremely constipated and have no energy.  I know I need to get off Suboxone, but I don't feel strong enough to and the more time that goes by, the weaker I get.  There was only 1 time that I was ready to ween myself off Suboxone.  It was after being on it for 6 months and a psychiatrist had put me on an anti-depressant.  I mentioned to my doctor, that was prescribing the Subs, that I was ready to ween down and he said I shouldn't think about that now.  So here I am, 5 years later.  I get frustrated to why Suboxone affects me so much because I know plenty of other people who take it who can work and function properly.  I used to be a very hard-working, family oriented person and now I don't work, hardly every see my family, and lost touch with most of my friends.  But still, none of this motivates me enough to even go one day without Suboxone.  I've called a few rehab centers, but they only offer like a 5 day detoxification, which makes no sense for the long term nature of Suboxone.  Does anybody have any suggestions or is anyone in a similar situation?

I'd like to make a note, though.  I am not condemning Suboxone.  It stopped my life from spiraling out of control and I know I wouldn't be in this situation if I got some kind of co-therapy when I initially started taking Suboxone.  I am blaming myself and the doctor who only cared about my urine samples every month I saw him.  (Sometimes, I would have to stay in his office bathroom all day until I could produce a sample because the Suboxone also causes extreme urinary retention for me, even though the doctor didn't think that was possible.)  I have a new doctor now who prescribes the Suboxone and thinks everything in my life is going great because I don't know what to tell him.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My wife is doctor(pain management...crazy isn't it) and I don't think Robert did anything wrong!
Helpful - 0
I was reading thru the posts..seems as if JAS got alot of response...I see the point most r making here...in reality a person should turn to their sub dr for help...being a nurse and working with drs..i also know they r not always right..and here there r good sub drs and bad ones...some shady dudes with small practices pushing the stuff abd not making it a rule they receive aftercare..A good sub dr has a program and needs prrof u r going,,,a good dr listens to u and helps u taper if that is ur goal...it is not up to another person//not even an almighty dr to deem that u need to stay on sub for life if u do not want to!
I also agree that the dr is the first place to seek help...but sharing our experiences with each other is also cool..someone who has been thru it before..I have helped many taper off of oxy or hydro..I dont "tell" them how to do it..I let them know how I did it//course for me it didnt work cos i cheated but if i knew what i knew now//perhaps i could taper successfully..not all are good at tapering when their ticket to feeling better is within reach...some are..it is a choice...I have found that those who taper and refuse to pick a QUIT day usually do not make it.....a well planned taper, written out day by day..using info from others but individualizing it for the person as we r all different...It would be great if every dr kknew how to taper someone off of meds//but they dont//cos they r not addicts..some do cos they made it their business to learn about addiction//most do not and have no clue how to get someone off the drugs they RX-ed to them...if they read up they could learn quickly..but it not a priority for all MDs to spend the time researching addiction...and just cos a dr prescribes sub,,does not necessarily mean he knows squat about it..an 8 hour course that can be done online is all they require and the Suboxone company sponsors the training...it is taming down but sub is expensive and the company who sells it wants peeps to take tons cos it is a multi-million doolar drug for them until it becomes a generic...so they teach the MDs to over prescribe..unless the dr takes it upon himself to learn about it/sub/then this is all he knows
I contemplated going on sub for recovery....went to a sub doctor here who was a rip off and I never went back even tho I paid him up front//he wanted to put me on 16 mgs....I could tell he was in it for the money and not to help peeps....I then went to a notable pain mgt dr whom i still see but he also RXs sub..he knows his drugs..after my first visit he suggested alternative ways to manage my pain with safe meds..he said as a 100 mg hydro user that he just didnt think it was the answer for me.  Just an example of 2 different sub drs//and I thank my pain dr for saving me from a he11 worse than my 100 mg hydro habit i had then..he is a wonderful person

It states here that there is no medical  advice...but sharing experiences is really not the same thing to me...we gotta do what we gotta do..and those who r willing to stick around and post, pm, etc to help people here can become thin at times cos so many come and go so fast....reaching out to help a fellow addict is so caring..cos most dont understand his/her predicament..hence making the forum a wonderful place to be
Helpful - 0
Band D ,
Where is it stated that we cant recommend cold turkey ? Now you have me confused
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
This is not the place for personal attacks.  That is all i was saying.  This forum is about recovery and support.          sara
Helpful - 0
What's the difference in giving someone advice to go cold turkey or giving them advice on tapering? You would think telling someone to go ct could cause more harm. Maybe these guidelines need to be reevaluated. Now I am very confused!
Helpful - 0
Not that the guidelines need to be reevaluated but isn't telling someone to go ct pretty much giving dosing advice or considered a treatment plan?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community