Anxiety or actual illlness?

Hello, I am a 20 year old male. Recently I've been experiencing some very strange symptoms

For the past 3 weeks I've been experiencing some of the following symptoms, some are persistent and others come and go. I've currently experienced the following the last several days:

Nerve pain and tingling all over body
Deep chest pain/shortness of breath/feels like pain in lungs
Scratchy throat
Dry tongue/mouth
Pelvic/groin/prostate pain
Heavy fatigue (Getting gradually better than I was a few days ago.)
Body aches
Blurred vision
No appetite
Diarrhea.

The last doctor I've seen only said that I may have some type of unspecified 'Viral Infection'. And all blood and urine tests have came out normal, I've also had a CT scan of my head and chest which were also normal.
I've also been diagnosed with hypochondria/anxiety by the ER SEVERAL times because they couldn't find anything extraordinarily wrong, they are swearing to me that it is anxiety and I'm not dying. I'm not believing that though. Could this all be anxiety related for absolutely no reason at all? Could this be HIV or some other autoimmune disease?

I really feel like I'm being misdiagnosed here, has anyone experienced something similar? Could anyone give me suggestions as to what I should do? Please help! Serious replies only please!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I too am very sorry you are feeling this way but as a person who feels and lives everyday feeling all the symptoms you named above due to anxiety I know how you feel. I too have been to the hospital and told it was anxiety many many times over the past several years. Its an on going fight everyday and every night and it truly ***** to have to live with such an awful burden. But to answer your question yes anxiety can cause all the above that you named. I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack and die everyday of my life. Short of breath and vomiting and diarrhea. Whatever you do don't get on benzodiazepines unless you have a doctor that really cares. Although they do help when your taking them,tolerance builds up over time and its always going to take more and more. Then when you try to quit its pure hell. I hope this helps you and I hope with all my heart you feel better. Wish I could.
Helpful - 0
I too am very sorry you are feeling this way but as a person who feels and lives everyday feeling all the symptoms you named above due to anxiety I know how you feel. I too have been to the hospital and told it was anxiety many many times over the past several years. Its an on going fight everyday and every night and it truly ***** to have to live with such an awful burden. But to answer your question yes anxiety can cause all the above that you named. I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack and due everyday of my life. Short of breath and vomiting and diarrhea. Whatever you do don't getbon benzoa
Helpful - 0

I'm sorry that you are having all these problems. Personally, I would not expect all those symptoms to be related to anxiety. Sometimes you have to find just the right Dr to help, and it may take a while. I would recommend seeing a different Dr/ER. Good Luck!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Agoraphobia Community