Allergy Community

Nasal Polyps and Anosmia

I have suffered from anosmia (loss of sense of smell) for about 5 years now.  I had significant nasal surgery and few years ago which did not help.  Nasal inhaled steroids have not helped.  The problem is that two groups of polyps are very high up in the nose, so I can breathe quite easily, but because the polyps occlude the olfactory nerves, I cannot smell.  The only thing that ever helps is Prednisone - but it's horrible stuff!

I recently started sub-lingual immuno-therapy (SLIT) and it seems to be working already, after only 3 months.  I have high hopes that SLIT will, in time, lessen my allergic responses to the few things I am allergic to and then if I had a polypectomy perhaps the polyps would not return because my allergic response was so low, or gone.

I am exploring some natural remedies to combat polyps right now, mainly anti-inflammatory foods and supplements, and I would like to know if any here who suffers from polyps is familiar with eBook called Nasal Polyps Treatment Miracle (http://www.nasalpolypstreatmentmiracle.org/).  I can't tell if it is real or a scam (ah, the joys of the internet).  Also, is anyone here on SLIT?  If so, what is your opinion of it?

Thanks,

Mike
How are you? It is good to know that your symptoms are responding to your present therapy. Complementary and alternative medicine may indeed help with the management of some conditions. However, herbal supplements do not usually undergo the same rigorous studies and trials the prescription medicine go through before approval. This may not provide all the possible side effects and interactions it can cause to other chemicals or medicines. It is best that you talk to your doctor abut this also for proper evaluation. Factors such as your medical history and over- all health are also important considerations. Take care and do keep us posted.  
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.