There is no true allergic reaction to paint, but to contents present within it, such as latex, some heavy metals such as lead,mercury.
To be on the safe side, make sure you read labels on paint cans, so that it does not contain any of the heavy metals especially. Prolonged exposure usually results in neurological symptoms, alongside the symptoms you described above.
When painting, it is advised that there is proper ventilation.
i think i just experienced paint fumes allergy, two days i have my room painted but only today i feel my tougue itch and my throat dry and itchy, i am also allergic to pollen.
i took clarityne 10mg hoping my throat will not go to the swollen stage.
Yes you can be allergic to paint or the toxins I also cannot breathe varnish, Paint, wood Epoxy is particularly bad ,when its being cut especially teak, I break out in rashes and I get throat problems ,my Dh has been a boat builder most of his life and he definatly has long term problems of toxicity..I suggest that you google for info about it, I expect it will clear up try the avoid painting and using the same room, and paint early morning with windows open, use a mask .Good Luck