Hair Loss. Joint Pain. Low iron + b vitamins.

Over six weeks ago I went to the doctor because I was having a lot of hair thinning and joint pain.  The only thing that came up from my blood tests was that I was low in all b vitamins (especially b12 & folic acid) as well as iron. (I only know my saturation levels)  

For the last six weeks I have taken  two natural iron + b vitamin supplements. One is the liquid iron + b Floravital.  I also took MegaFood Blood Builder which has Iron + b12 + folic acid.  My doctor didn't test me for b vitamins unfortunately during this six week blood test... but he did just check my iron.  My Iron 6 weeks ago was 29% saturation, and now it is 18%! This seems absolutely crazy to me.  For the first time in my life I started an iron supplement, (in fact TWO), I have been eating liver at least once a week, having bone broth every day, fermented foods, meat at least twice/day, and upping my amounts of kale, chard, beet greens, broccoli, brussel sprouts etc. I was also taking vitamin c 1-2 times per day with my iron supplement. (I space my iron dosage over 3 times per day)  How on EARTH could my iron go down 11% after starting this iron rich protocol??

I do know that when I got the blood test six weeks ago, I was 15 days into my cycle. Around ovulation time.  (I have heavy, painful periods). When I got my most recent blood test, I had just finished my period two days ago. Could this have affected the reading?

I really could use some advice. I don't know why my body isn't holding on to b vitamins (especially b12 and folic acid) as well as iron.  I got a blood test for celiacs disease and also had an endoscopy. Both came up with nothing.  However I am gluten free, so perhaps it wouldn't pick up on it. I also was tested negative for lupus & rheumatoid arthritis. Could this possibly be lyme disease? Even though my west blot came up negative.

My doctor said my insurance said they won't cover any more tests or visits for at least 6 months because the think I am "abusing the system"

Feeling frustrated and alone in this. :(
Hiya, sorry to hear of your experience. I would recommend getting a couple of blood tests at different times for an accurate reading and then take it from there, but please do keep us all updated. Wishing you the best.
Western blot is quite specific for Lyme disease. You should get your vitamin D levels and thyroid profile also done to rule out any thyroid disorder which may be causing these symptoms.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

You are reading content posted in the Alopecia Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions