Alopecia Community

Relationship between hair loss & isotrex gel

Dear Doctor, thank you for looking at my question.

Over a year ago, I stopped taking Roaccutane after finding that my hair was falling out at a pretty rapid pace.  This was confirmed and overseen by my dermatologist.  Over several months, the fall stopped and it began to grow back in, with no shrinkage of follicles or other signs of permanent hair loss. Sadly, the acne returned to a milder extent over the winter, and I was prescribed Isotrex gel (.05%).  Since being placed on that topical, the same type of hair fall has begun once again.  I realise both medications have the same 'base' to them, and would like to know if the hair fall could be the result of topical absorption of the isotretinoin, which must have some effect (why else would they advise against conception while using a topical). I'm 32, female, otherwise healthy, athletic, all iron/thyroid levels are good as of 6 weeks ago, vegetarian, and no family history of hair loss (either side).

Very kind thanks from an increasingly concerned patient, whose self esteem has plummeted.

Isotretinoin can cause loss of hair. You need to pay attention to your diet. Your hair needs vitamins and minerals to grow that it can only get from the bloodstream. So if you want to speed up your hair growth and thickness you should limit the intake of fat and salts. Selenium, zinc and magnesium are some of the minerals that your hair needs and also amino acids and vitamin E will help in growing hairs. Other than that avoid coloring your hair till you are using isoterinoin. If the hair loss persists then you may need other alternatives for acne.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions