Unexplained bone pain, hair loss, low nutritional levels

Please help! I am a 27 year old female and starting in October I began noticing that my hair was thinning & that my knees ached.  I have never had achey knees in my life.  I also starting having migrating joint pain in my fingers, sometimes my wrists, my feet, etc. After a ton of tests, nothing really came back besides low iron & b vitamin levels. Which to me, means there is absorption problem. I eat tons of organic veggies & grassfed meat every single day. I also supplement with eating liver once a week, fermented cod liver oil, a lot of bone broth, and mineral rich herbal infusions like nettle.  

After going on an iron supplement for the month of November, my newest results in December were the my iron is even lower. HOW is this possible? Unfortunately,  my doctor doesn't seem to think anything is wrong and that it is in my head.. which is quite possibly the most frustrating thing to say to someone who is feeling sick & exhausted.  I then pleaded to get a full thyroid panel (everything is fine), an endoscopy from the gastroenterologist (everything was clear), and got checked by a rheumatogolist (who frankly just looked at my hands and knees and said "no swelling... i think you are fine."

My doctor then said that I should layoff on the disease detection since my health insurance said I was looking like I was abusing the system... !!!

My herbalist on the otherhand thinks I may have  a lyme co-infection and I have been being treated with herbs for that.

However the past months or so my pain feels more intense. Every day different fingers hurt... sometimes my wrist, and ALWAYS my knees. It literally feels like I have less cartilage in  them... I can also feel my knee caps buzzing... I guess my biggest question (please try to reassure me and not scare me)... is could this be bone cancer? I know that is a crazy fetch... but when I search joint and bone pain.. arthritis and bone cancer come up.  And I just really do feel like I have arthritis.  

My herbalist says that if the herbs are killing whatever infection I have, there will be die off, which creates a temporary worsening of symptoms.  Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am feeling so lost and abandoned by the Western medical world.  My only fear is that if I just keep "not going" to the doctor even though I feel like crap, am I just ignoring something serious?  It doesn't feel really practical getting a new doctor, since I just have crappy insurance and this is the best doctor I have ever had (prior to him dismissing my illness..)  

Arthritis is one of the causes of joint pains. Other causes of joint pain include autoimmune and vasculitic disorders (for example, systemic lupus erythematosus, polymyalgia rheumatica, and polyarteritis nodosa), avascular necrosis of bone, and injuries.

Other important causes could be polymyositis(a type of inflammatory myopathy or muscle inflammation) or fibromyalgia(Fibromyalgia (FM) is a disorder classified by the presence of chronic widespread pain and tactile allodynia i.e heightened and painful response to gentle touch)

Investigations like serum creatinine,uric acid,x-rays of the joints and MRI joints are required to make a diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have you been tested for celiac disease?

You are reading content posted in the Alopecia Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions