Aneurysm Community
607 Members

Aortic Aneurysm and Scuba Diving

At my school there is a diving program that takes place in the 12 foot deep end of my schools pool. Will i be able to participate in this class and scuba dive under water with my aortic aneurysm, my aneurysm is in a stable place and so far i have not had any problems or any surgery. Please i need an answer quick. Thhank You.
Most doctors recommend that you not do the Valsalva maneuver if you have a thoracic aortic aneurysm, as it puts stress on the aorta.  I am not a scuba diver myself, but I did take a complimentary one-time "intro" class several years ago, and I seem to remember that this is how scuba divers equalize the pressure on their ears.  You need to be sure and talk to your doctor, before you assume that it is okay to scuba dive with an aortic aneurysm.  It might not be all right.  People with aneurysms generally get cautioned about heavy lifting for the same reason, because it is natural to hold your breath and strain while lifting.  I think that you need more detailed information from your doctor about physical limitations with your aneurysm.  Google Valsalva maneuver if you are not sure what I am talking about.  Ask the scuba instructor if I am correct that this is how you equalize the pressure in your ears, when you descend into deeper water.  It seems as if you may need to talk to a couple of expert people on this:  your doctor and the class instructor.  I am not a physician, but you asked for quick feedback.  I really have not seen any posts by physicians on the aneurysm forum.  I am a survivor of a root/ascending aneurysm, so take my advice for what it is worth, but check it out.  Better safe than sorry.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else