Aneurysm Community
607 Members

Does aortic root dilation suggest aneurysm in thoracic or abdominal aorta?

I just received the report from a cardiac calcium scoring CT scan, and while my calcium score is zero, the report notes that my aortic root is dilated up to 3.7cm.

I am a 42 year-old male. I had the CT scan performed because of recurring pain and tightness in my left arm/left side of my neck/jaw/chest that particularly follows any kind of exercise, and also because my family has a lot of cardiovascular problems. My father has had a triple-bypass surgery for severely blocked arteries, and he has an abdominal aortic aneurysm that so far has responded well to two non-open surgeries.

I have mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), which causes a lot of mostly bothersome, but sometimes fairly severe inflammatory symptoms. I assume that this is related to that.

I understand that my next step will be to speak with my doctor and likely to follow up with a specialist.

The most immediate question I have is whether the heart CT scan I just had shows anything below the aortic root. If it doesn't, then I'm very curious what the likelihood may be that the aorta could be more widely dilated father down, and whether the bulging of the aortic root makes it more likely that the thoracic and abdominal aorta could be likewise/further dilated and potentially aneurysmal.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else