Chest pain not improving.

Male 24 yrs old . Weight :- 150lbs, height :-  5 ft 8 in.
(I apologize for the length of this message.)

It all started on January I had a weird feeling in middle of my chest. Felt like something is moving inside my chest or kind of like tingling feeling but it was internal(No chest pains).  I never had that feeling before.  Waited for 4 days since it didn't improved went to see a family doctor in urgent care. Had a EKG(10 sec.) and the Dr. said  it's Sinus arrhythmia. My BPM was 92. He said my heartbeat is little irregular but can't say anything as EKG was done just for 10 sec.

After a week since it Didn't improved I saw a Cardiologist. He ordered complete Blood test and had a holter monitor for 24 hours. Blood test came fine. Thyroid was normal. Holter monitor showed my max HR was 152 and min. was 52 and ave. Hr was 90. Dr. said even though my Heart rate was 152 but it goes up rhythmically. He said it didn't jumped.

After 15 days I experienced Chest pain and left leg pain so I went to ER thinking its a heart attack.  They repeated my blood test, EKG and performed a CAT scan of chest. Everything came back normal and was sent home.

Again after a month I experienced very fast Heartbeat and nausea and went to ER thinking i have having a heart attack. My BP was 150. can't rmr the other num.  They repeated my Blood test, x-ray and was on EKG for one hour. Everything came back normal and I was said i have tachycardia.

I continuously had mild chest pain for few minutes and felt shortness of breath for weeks so I made a trip my the same cardiologist. He performed echo cardiogram and repeated my blood test and had my lipid checked. Everything came back normal.

Still after months, I do feel chest pain on left side and shortness of breath nearly twice a week. When i feel a chest pain it dooms me and I think that I might have a heart attack .
I seriously need some help what might be  causing my chest pain and shortness of breath. Is it possible that it might be getting accumulated to something serious. I really get scared when ever I feel pain in left chest.i think that I will have a heart attack. Does anyone has similar experience? There should be some reason behind this.
Your advice will be appreciated.
Best Answer
There are a couple of things here that you need to understand...it would be highly unlikely for you to have a heart attack at your age unless you have had family members who have died from heart attacks at a very early age.  The rule of thumb is that if you have had a family member die at age  50 or younger you are in a higher risk group and even that does not mean that you will have one just that you are in a higher risk group and the docs like to check you once a year.  In your case tho you are well within normal weight and height limits and there are very specific symtoms that you would feel if it were indeed a heart attack and your left leg really doesn't have anything to do with it  because its vascular.  They did the right tests on you and you got the green light and some of the tests that they performed like the blood tests would have told them if you had a clot issue, etc and a very short period of time is all that is need for a doc to read the EKG.  For some of us like myself i went thru some issues a couple of years ago where my heart rate went into the 300's and i was forced to take action through an ablation which took care of it.  Basic rule of thumb w. your pulse rate is normal limits are between 70-120 and many people end up with what is called white coat heart rates which mean that they jump considerably when going into a medical setting.  So as far as your chest pain goes...your heart sits directly center across from your nipple line a just very slightly to the left so if the pain that you feel is further over it may very well be something that is muscular related and that could also include the shortness of breath if you have a pull or a strain.  I always do the touch test and if i place my index finger between the ribs where the pain is and its an owww moment i know its not heart related.  Having tachycardia means that you have just joined literally tens of thousands of people who experience it and in most cases its benign meaning it will come and go and you have to learn to live with it.  If your pulse rate is jumping on you anxiety will make it much much worse...sounds to me like you need to have a sit down w. the doc so that he/she can explain everything to you and whether or not they'll put you on a low dose of beta blocker to relax your heart.  With angina you usually get a crushing sensation behind the sternum that is caused from lack of oxygen to the muscles of the heart and again there would be very specific symtoms for that as well.  Thats the problem when docs don't take the time to reassure their pts. and tell them exactly what is going on and whether or not you need some meds to block out the adrenaline that is causing your higher heart rate.  I am pretty sure that you can relax a little bit on this ...and no you will not drop dead suddenly, or have a massive heart attack unless the docs told you something else.  Sounds like they left everything hanging in the air with you and did not take the time to explain everything to you and what to expect.  I would definately steer clear of anything at all with caffeine in it especially energy drinks and anything with electrolytes in them like gatorade type of products.  Call the doc tomorrow becaue its not fair that you are so worried when a couple of words can make all the diff. in the world to you...its harder playing the guessing game than anything else...i would definately relax tho...bad news comes very very very fast from heart docs and its not to their benefit to hide anything from you...make the call tomorrow if you can so you can move ahead with your life without the fear...good luck
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hey thanks a lot for your time. I don't have any family history of heart related disease. Probably you are right that my Dr. pretty much left everything hanging in the air.He said to me your pain is not heart related but when i still continue to have chest pain it made me paranoid. Evey time i have chest pain i go like okie it's coming.. . Thanks a lot again for the response..it surely helped me..
Helpful - 0
For my fast heart rate.   My cardiologist told me to start exercise and it should be down which i started 2 months ago...so pretty much tha's abt it..
Helpful - 0
Does anyone has any experience with this??? please help..
Helpful - 0
You may want to post on the heart rhythm site on medhelp forums....i think that you will get quite the response there...because this is the angina site our members are a little different from the other heart sites.......try to keep the post on the heart rhythm site straight to the point and i think the responses you get are going to be tremendous...good  luck my friend...
Helpful - 0
Hey there. I have in pretty similar situation like yours and I need some help too.
Just today I had my treadmill stress test done. I walked for 15 min and in 15 min my HR reached 198 then I got exhausted and stopped but my Hr remained high. Even after 20 min my HR was 110. I always had high heart rate. When i started I had 110. Dr. said I had few extra beats but not concerned but the thing that my heart took a long time to come down got lil of my dr. attention but he said I don't need any medication and asked me to see him after 6 mo. He is a cardiologist.
I am 24, male, 146 lb had all my blood work done.
we can pretty similar case as our heart rate dind't came down for a while. any help please. Is this is normal?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Angina Community

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.