Animal Health - General Forum

Her right eye

Lilly has had what a vet here thought was a upper respiratory infection in her right eye. Also colored stuff comes out of her nostril (same side). They injected her with some anti inflammatory for two weeks. It didn't clear up. Her eye runs with some colored junk. She doesn't appear to be in any pain. The vet has also given me an anti inflammatory ointment for it also. I could not get at her most of the time to apply it, ( I have chronic pain issues).
Lilly has had this her whole life. I know she would love to be rid of it. She is such an adorable and loving cat. If you could offer some advice I would be so happy for her.
Thank you so much for this opportunity.
Many upper respiratory infections in cats are caused by Herpes virus which can be a mild chronic infection of the eyes and/or nose.  If it is only occurring on one side of her face, make sure your veterinarian checks her well for any possible dental problems.  A polyp can also form in the nasal sinus and cause chronic symptoms.

In some cases, L-Lysine can help with Herpes virus.  It is not completely proven to work but I have seen many patients do better when given lysine regularly. There are some veterinary preparations of it that make it pretty easy to give to cats.

Also be sure to feed a high quality canned cat food and provide humidity in the house.  Saline drops into the eyes and nose can help as well.  Sometimes more specific medications such as antibiotics and antivirals are needed.  

I hope this helps and your cat does better.  It can be a frustrating condition to deal with.

Judy Karnia, DVM
Scottsdale Cat Clinic
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.