Anxiety Community
23k Members

My brains has these fast motion periods where everything around me is going in fast motion what is it?

I'm 14 years old and I have these periods where my brain starts to race and it feels like everything is going in fast motion. When I talk, somebody is talking, music is playing or when I walk it feels like everything is going in fast motion like everything is being extremely rushed.It happens at least once every 2 weeks but i've had it twice this week . This only happened to me about 2 times in the past year but also I get these patterns of noises in my head when I'm lying in bed and it keeps me from sleeping.I just wanted to know what it was because I honestly am scared and my mother laughs at me when i try to tell her that something is wrong and it frustrates me
I've been getting this since I can remember. I've already delt with many pretty scary sleep paralysis episodes but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I also have been diagnosed with anxiety, and have done many online searches on "what it means when you feel like life isn't real" but I don't know if those things are connected to this either. Just 5 minutes ago I was sitting in my bed doing homework and everything in my head started moving quicker. It was as if I was talking to myself in my head but just in a super fast pace and none of the sentences were making sense and I couldn't actually make out any of the words. Of all the times I've had this since I was little, this is the most intense it's ever been. I tried looking around the room and taking a drink of water in an attempt to snap my brain back but it just went away on its own a moment later. I've never had it for more than a minute or two. Thinking back now, I'm pretty sure I've had an opposite episode where everything moved slower, but those were only ever for a couple seconds. After all these years, I'm happy I'm not the only one experiencing this. I feel like if I tried to explain this in person to somebody it would make no sense at all and nobody would take me serious.
I get the same feeling all the time but I cant explain why it happens I Try to tell my parents but they know what it is I though I was the only one but now I know not but,, I really want to know what it is ????
It's amazing that situation is actually to other people as well. It's something I kept close to me and no one else knows.i used to experience this when I was younger like 7, and early teens..I probably had a small episode recently but was amazed if it was actually happening..I always took the time to observe the situation..but all the times it happen I was watching tv, walking from the room in the hallway.. different times.. everything will speed. I even use to speak just to see if it will alter..I was more amazed then any thing..I was became older I have be in fights where was being jump and things began to slow down to me, there motions giving me a upper hand.but never abuse the opportunity. So, before u consider labeling it as a problem or lack there of..be open minded and look beyond Normality..
I used to experience the same feelings. for myself it was due to manic depression or bipolar disorder, your situation may be different I am only suggesting the possibility that what you're experiencing is due to bipolar Mania. during a manic episode you will feel no need to sleep it's possible you will even not want to sleep, what you're experiencing may be racing thoughts.when that happened to me it used to only happen once every week or every two weeks but the Mania would happen very often I would go a day or two days sometimes three whole days and nights with no sleep and feel no exhaustion. as well as major depression, I am not a doctor so I am only suggesting the possibility of bipolar disorder.it would be wise to see a psychiatrist, rather than just your average family doctor.as I said just a suggestion.good luck I hope all ends up well for you
I'll let youknow Im iving thru it right now. I'm 24 years old and I understand you completely. It happen when I started Pre-cal. I question more than my Brain could process. I remember I was at work when it happen. I remember my precal instructor talking about functions and I was in awe with it and I remember every single thing he was talking connecting functions f(x) the unit circle about little details of my life when I was young the people I have met about 15 years ago like my brain was digging hard for information. Suddenly everyone staring moving faster when it was my closing shift. I move faster than usual because everyone went fast. I did my job super fast and help everyone recover the store on time. I starting laughing and was getting nervous. Then it came, when the manager was about to close the front doors I lost train of time. Everyone starting moving faster and on my brain time keep repeating itself. The manager ask me several times what was wrong. I couldn't get out of it. Finally out the front door I snap out of it and time run smoothly again. I pray to god I got well. I arrive home and it happen again. This time I couldn't control it. I ran into my room shut the door and kept repeating to myself on my thoughts "this is earth, there is only one god if there's one, I have family friends that care for me," it went on for two days. I ended up going to the hospital recently. Today in the morning it happen again on Precal. I question time. When Mr. Contois drew the unit circle he explain angles are the same for a 60 degree angle and 325 then I said time is like a circle. Then it happen again. Everyone sounded loud. I could hear their conversation perfectly. Everyone single conversation. Even if they were whispering. Time went fast. But this time I didnt let my mind go further. Its only the mind doing it. I hope no one else experiences this panic or whatever it is. I am glad am not alone. I hope my story will help someone. One thing to remember don't ever let your mind control you. Take charge. Its just hallucinations or your Brain working too fast. Don't question life ever more than you should either. Breathe and keep repeating yourself, your on earth your name the date and rest your mind take control of it. Be like "mind you need me and I need you, you want us to go to mental hospital and lose it or you want to get well" snap out it your in control.   like some people excellent advice given here. If you all ever need anyone to talk to about this message me. I know what your going thru and its horrible.
I;ve had the same since I was a child And been told it is similar to de ja vu or the post-ictal feeling of a migraine. Essentially these are uncontrolled discharges of the brain. It is nerve endings firing in a haphazard manner. If it becomes unbearable you can see a neurologist. I usually get it once or twice a year.
I have also experienced this and it has manifested in many different ways in my life; from casual activities to very important ones. It is a "feeling" that is very similar to tunnel vision. In that moment I feel incompetent that things I'm actually good at. I "feel" as if unable to see everything clearly that is in front me. Everything in my brain feels rushed and my body feels as if it has become immobile.

I give you two examples where this "feeling" has almost incapacitated me. Reading. While under the influence of this "feeling" when reading, I read the words but they have not meaning or that I do not understand what I just read or that its all leaving my brain as soon as I read it. It is hard to describe this "feeling" of things fleeting from my brain. The second is more of a casual activity. When I'm playing a video game that requires fast reactions. I become so overwhelmed that my hands are barely moving, and in turn I am unable to the simple things in this video game that I have done countless times before.

I have also felt the opposite of this. Things become so clear to me that things are difficult become easy. I am overcome with this "feeling" that I can see something  as if it were moving in slow motion or that my brain is interpreting it so fast. This feeling is far less common than that of "feeling" overwhelmed.

I do not understand the cause of this "tunnel vision" like "feeling" or have a good solution to it, but there are certain things that I do that help. This depends on what you are doing. When I'm reading, for example, I will begin to read out loud and read it multiple times and translate it into my own words and eventually this "feeling" disappears. If I'm doing a physical activity tent I focus extensively on the part of body that it involves. For example, in the case of video games that require mouse and keyboard. I take a deep breath and consciously begin to control my hand and continue this until the "rushed-feeling" disappears. You can try something similar. I noticed I have to clear my head of everything and be confident in the fact that I have done this thing before and can do it again. This maybe is something particular to me, but you can try this as well.

Again, this tunnel vision like "feeling" is hard to describe and it manifests in many different ways. When I'm doing something and feel overwhelmed I continue to do that thing until this "feeling" disappears. Not a real solution but it has worked for me. You can also try taking to a medical professional about this.

Hi, I'm 26 and I can't believe I haven't researched this before, at least I don't remember having done so. It has been years since I hadn't felt these things... I had forgotten what it was like. Welp, these symptoms are reminding me it is a thing that exist alright. I found several suggestions in this thread of what it could be, I'm going to be researching fo a while today it seems.
I experience the same thing almost exactly. My dad has it and so did my grandfather. It's a form of a panic attack (or so I've been told.) Mine usually occurs out of nowhere and has no real reason to show up but I've been told that it is nothing serious. You shouldn't feel scared, everything is fine with you. Just go into a quiet room alone, sit in front of a table side fan and everything should slow back down. It also helps to try to fall asleep or take a nap. I understand that it might be scary or overwhelming but you might just have over excited yourself or you are the tiniest bit stressed out. Anything can trigger a panic attack, no matter how small. Just know that you are okay... you just might need to relax and take a breather.
I went through the thread people have broken their fears regarding this specific symptoms but even going through many answers i haven't found a single diagnosis of this no specific outcome or reason what it really ment. What i want from each to try the level best to find the root cause and actual meaning as nothing is meaningless.  Waiting...
I have the same things
I have the same thing , but with the Love of God I can say that I am healed. I suffered this fast moving motion attack many times , it can happen anytime and anywhere even i was happy that time i was sad it can happen. One time i was at the metro and things started to get very fast. The ladies talking at each other the closing of the train doors , when i speak , when i wave my hands , everything. I even cried coz its not going away. So i just closed my eyes and pray. To stop the fast motion coz i dont know if I can go down the train my station is very near , Luckily it STOP. and thank God i go down the train smoothly. The next day i went to the doctor and they advise me to see a neurolgist at first i was ashamed people might think i am crazy. The doctors finding was all fine , i am fine i am healthy , she just advise me to sleep well , dont stress to much and dont think to much. Then i am taking meds for 2 weeks from then on i didnt feel again any attacks. Thanks be to God!. To everyone whose suffering this kind of attack , you are not alone a lot also experience the same , it is advisable to go to your doctor as well so you can have a prescribed medication. Always pray and remain calm . Stay healthy everyone. :)
I;m going through it right now and its so hard to keep calm and type because I feel like im yelling at you guys lol. Do any of you know a good way to keep calm during one of these?
I've been having this feeling for as long as I can remember. Today I finally found something that might very well be what we're all experiencing.
It's a thing called Racing thoughts, and can be caused by things such as Bipolar disorder, ADHD, sleep deprivation and the use of amphetamines.
Here's the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_thoughts

I hope this helps all of you guys.
I have had this since I was a child age 11 It first happend with a fever and happend spontaniolsly untill I figured out that been alone and thinking about it caused it. it's like falling inside your self deep into your own thoughts and mind and it can be stopped with slow controlled breathing and counting backwards. Am now  nearly 29 and can turn it on by thinking about it and retreating within my self but can not hold it for longer than 30 mins as it ends when my heart rate drops to a normal pace it leaves the body weak and worn out but during the fast forward all senses are  hightend. If I abuse my body by doing it over often I suffer from cluster headaches and ringing in the ears. Although I can start the sensation and stop it once it accours I can not stop it from hapning of its own accord. And as a child the sensation filled me with panic and fear controlled breathing and company was the only thing to subside the feeling.
Wow I didn't know there were other people experiencing the same thing as me! I am 15 and this I experienced this two or three times. It happens out of nowhere and it lasts only a few minutes. I just feel like I am in speed motion, that I do everything super fast and for  long time I wasn't sure if I was really just doing everything faster or if it was only a perception... now that I see that many peoplle have been in the same situation I think it was only a perception. I think it's caalled Alice in Wonderland syndrom and that I had it on a very small scale...
i just now experienced this. i woke up because i had just started my period and i knew immediately i had to rush to my restroom but as i was completing this task,  i felt “rushed” persay ; as if i was doing things very very fast and this is not abnormal for me. i have experienced this plenty of times before, only though it would occur when i was running a fever. i’m not quite sure why this happened so abruptly but i hate when this happens because it feels to me as though when it starts, it’s as if i’m in a transe and i cannot get out of it. as if when it starts, it never stops. of course, a few minutes pass and it subsides, but i just never took into account that maybe it was something i needed to put more attention into and maybe do some  research on. i am only 13 but these “episodes”, i supposed you would call them, have been occurring ever since age 9. i want to learn more about it, but i am very comforted by the fact that i am not the only human on the earth experiencing such abnormal actions.  
I have had this since I was kid, but not for years. and yes it sometimes happened when I had a high fever and once when I was on a plane getting ready for takeoff which was super weird. And like every one else I am really stoked that I'm not the only one who experiences this.
I’m having it too. I feel like this one is worst from the others and I can’t stop, I get a weird feeling in my hands sometimes where it feels like everything is soft and I’m hoping when I go in that there is nothing wrong with me surgery wrong with me. It’s 2:34AM and I work up from a sleep and start feeling this.
I’m glad I’m not the only person feeling like this. I’m 25 years old and it just happened to me in December of last year. I was washing dishes after a long and medium day at work (I worked at a Japanese restaurant in the kitchen at the time) and all of the sudden I had this horrible splitting headache in the back of my head, almost like someone lit a firecracker and cut a hole in my occipital lobe and stuck it in. Then about 15 mins later i was walking down the street and I had these weird out of body flashes like i was staring at myself from the corner of the street, and then ever since then I have these episodes where everything looks like it’s in time lapse video format. Things don’t look like they adhere to the laws of physics and I get these strange feelings like I’ve got syrup or something flowing through my veins. I feel weak and scared and everything starts moving super fast. Colors look super bright almost like someone loaded a photo up into photoshop and turned the saturation all the way up. Sometimes when I close my eyes it’s like the backs of my eyelids are little movie screens and I can see things as vividly as I can when I open my eyes. I’ve been told it’s anxiety. I was told it was PTSD. I have bipolar and I’m hoping it’s not some sort of psychotic episode. I’ve also been told it’s something called depersonalization/derealization. I just want this to end and my life to go back to normal.
i always used to have this when i was about 6 or 7. Then it stopped but in the past few weeks, its been coming up again, and im 14 now. My air conditioner was on and it felt like it was going to fast for my brain to handle. so i put on some music to come myself down, but that too felt way too fast. And i purposely put on a song i know by heart and love so it'll feel calming. I know the song so well and it too definetly felt like it was going way too fast. This thread started in 2008 and since then still, nobody has found a reason. Well, i hope everyone gets over this and a tip that helps me is count back from 10 very slowly and breath deep.
I am 12 and I have been expirencing this since I was little
I am 34 and had this same issue when I was much younger.  I don't remember the exact ages but it was probably 11-14.  Personally I don't think it's an anxiety attack or a panic attack. It does not need medication.  Things sped up to the point where when it first happened I said to my mom why are you talking so fast.  It was as though she was talking 4 times the normal speed.  It would also happen at extremely random times.  There was no trigger.  I found that when it starts breathing slowly, thinking a sentence in your head slowly, moving your body slowly, if there is music playing either find a channel without words that is slower paced or just turn it off.  If someone is talking to you just say give me a minute I need to respond to someone via your phone or make up something that stops the conversation.  Maybe say "something popped into my head and you lost it.  Give me a minute to remember what I was going to say."  I also suffered from something that many have experienced a few times in their lives. I have suffered from it from a young age to now.  It's call sleep paralysis. Most that experience it suffer from it between 14-20.  It's something that most who experience it only deal with it a few times. I however have dealt with it for probably 20 years.  Early years were more regular and now it's few and far between.  I am not going to explain what the dreams of sleep paralysis consists of you can look it up yourself.  I will say when I experience it now a days it's not scary at all.  I realized that my extremely lucid dreams are just that.  If I have a sleep paralysis attack I just go with it and know whatever happens it's just part of it and its not real.  I am not sure if they go together just my experience.
My boyfriend has been having problems with "everything is going fast" hes had it since he was a kid. Ive been with him for 4 years and ive seen him go through this a handful of times. This last year its been getting worse. I think its linked with his night terrors he has. I dont know what i can do to help. I talk slower and am patient with him but i think his mind is spiralling. He says his mind feels like someone is shaking it, he said he feels that in his ears and eyes too. I feel like he could hurt himself because of it. I sometimes feel helpless  i looked up Alice in Wonderland Syndrome  and its not like that, he doesnt see different sizes its just sped up, is there anything I can help with  I want to be there to help him i want him to be okay
I'm not sure how many people are still looking at this old thread, starting a new one can be more helpful to you, but I saw it.  Has he ever sought treatment for this?  Ever seen a doctor?  Ever seen a therapist or anyone who might be able to see if there's something going on?  This could be a manifestation of an anxiety attack.  I'm also wondering, if you're both old enough to be boyfriend and girlfriend for 4 years, I'm assuming you're not super young, right?  I mean, I have to assume you're not kids, so you might want to explain what you mean by "night terrors."  This is usually associated with childhood nightmares.  If they're continuing into adulthood, again, what kind of treatment has he had for it?  I have no idea what anyone on this long thread is going through, but it's really hard to treat anything without a professional diagnosis if one is to be had.