Seeking help

Hi, 59 year old husband and father to two grown boys. Had a pretty comfortable life and was self-employed. Without a lot of details I started having fatigue issues back in 2007 and saw every specialist they have. Nothing could be found. After many come and go fatigue attacks in 2015 I had to be hospitalized because of the anxiety that it brought on. Life didn't feel like living. After many years of medicine I turned it around and started having a regular good life again. Overall I have not been a depressed person and have handled stress like one does.  Eventually the doctors weaned me off medications and I was declared in remission. Blast forward to April 2022. Went through some trauma but handled it well then after my wife went through a job loss all of the sudden I was hot with massive fatigue and crushing anxiety. Hospitalized again but this time they were uncaring and because of overcrowding released me. Ive been on Lexapro and mirtazapine. They didn't even check out what I was on before. After getting home somewhat shocked and still under gut wrenching anxiety I have now been completely agoraphobic and go nowhere. This condition is ruining us financially and I can see the stress on my wife and children. So between now (Jan 23) and last April I've been trying to get psychiatric care. Even though I have insurance I can not get any care. Has anyone had this issue? All I have is my GP and I just got him to switch my med to the one I was on in 2015. Basically I've been somewhat bedridden or at least house bound without be able to get proper medical care. Any suggestions will be more than muchly appreciated.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Wow! I'm sorry to read this. That is a very long time to suffer without psychiatric care. I've not had that issue. When we needed medication management, we did find it. Are you in the United States? What about a psychiatric nurse practitioner? They do a nice job prescribing medication. They are easier to get into than a psychiatrist, md and you could get on a wait list for the psychiatrist. And therapy. Do not forget therapy. Medication is great but therapy skills are the heart of recovery. CBT and DBT therapy would be fantastic. Do a search in your area and get on a wait list if you have to for a caregiver. And then send an email each monday asking for cancellations. We were moved up every time we did this and got cancellations so were in much sooner than told. And yes, a gp could also start you on medication or adjust your current medication. Agoraphobia is serious and you surely want to overcome this. And you know what . . . you WILL. You did before, you'll do it again.
Helpful - 0
Yes, the us....Seattle WA. To be exact.
Ive done some cbt and that's a tough one for me. Especially the thing about "there no right or wrong" only gray matters. I will look into the nurse thing. Thanks for the response.

You are reading content posted in the Anxiety Community