Aa
A
A
A
Close
Anxiety Community
22.9k Members
9475243 tn?1405303875

Starting Sertraline slowly? Advice please.

So tomorrow I am to start Sertraline. My psychiatrist said to start slow with it. He gave me 50 mg to break in half and take for a week...my question is is it safe to break the 25 mg in half as well and start even slower? I'm a huge baby when it comes to side effects :( but id take 12.5 my for a week then 25 mg for a week then 50mg then I would see him again. Has anyone ever done this? Thanks. Also share experiences if you like. Preferably positive ones lol
1 Responses
973741 tn?1342346373
Yes, you could probably do that if the pill can split that way and make even quarters. They'd be pretty small. Splitting a pill is easier.  But you can try it.  Zoloft is pretty tolerable it appears.  And for many people it takes a higher dosage to be effective.  I'd be surprised if 5o mg is where you end up as 100 mg is a more common dose.  But time will tell with that. I'm so glad you are being treated.  Did you see the psychiatrist?  Have you started taking it yet? How are you feeling?  Let me know how things go!
2 Comments
Hello :) Yep my psychiatrist was awesome. He explained everything to me so I feel relieved that I am understood and getting help soon! The pills are easy enough to split and I took one today! No bad effects yet. Im just excited to get back to feeling better soon ❤
You can do that, but I'm thinking along with Mom here -- Zoloft is usually used at 100 or 150mg, so at the tiny dose you want to take you're not likely to get any effect at all.  It will save you from side effects, but also might save you from any beneficial effects, in effect not starting the drug at all.  It's up to you, but to me your doc's advice sounds better due to the particulars of Zoloft.
Have an Answer?
Top Anxiety Answerers
Arlington, VA
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what can trigger a panic attack – and what to do if you have one.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Take control of tension today.
These simple pick-me-ups squash stress.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?