Ask a Nurse Forum

Naegleria Fowleri- splitting headache and nausea, after diving in muddy waterfalls

I think I may need urgent advice. I came from Dominican Republic on Monday, and after adventure in muddy river/waterfalls, which happened on Saturday, I have a very bad feeling. I had water forced into my nose repeatedly, jumping from 25' height into a natural pool of water with muddy appearance. Temperatures were about 80degrees.

Since I came back, my stomach has been queezy(I ate well however), and I did not sleep well/bad dreams/ took naps in the day. On Tuesday, I suddenly felt a post nasal drip/painful nose tonsils. I got worried. It is Friday early morning, and since Thursday I have had splitting headache(I rarely have headaches), I have been up unable to sleep, the headache is getting worse I think, it is behind my eyes, forehead, and a bit behind my ears. It is as if the drip got better, but gave way to headache(as if something moved from my throat/nose to behind my forehead).

After freaking out, I do now feel a more pronounced nausea, and used the restroom(no.2) urgently 3 times this night. Could be fear acting out.

My most urgent question is, can I have an infection/brain amoeba/encephalitis without any fever?

I was waiting to get fever, and then I would go to a doctor, but without fever, can there be this horrific disease growing in me? I certainly do not want to die, because I waited for a fever that does not have to always be present.
CDC lists headache, stiff neck, nausea and fever, as first symptoms. I have severe headache, some nausea, but no fever.

What to do? I want to avoid having unnecessary/costly spinal taps, tests, just to find out I had sinus headache:-)

Thank you,
Kat
Thanks for using the forum.

I would recommend going to see your doctor. There is no way for me to tell if this is simply a sinus headache or something more serious. In order to do this you would need a physical examination, something that the online format of MedHelp is not able to provide.

I hope you feel better!

Cathy
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.