Ask a Pharmacist Forum

plavix vs cumidin

Is Plavix a better drug than cumidin? cumidin is a more intensive treatment with a blood test every 3 weeks and a dosage change quite often. Plavix is the brand name drug and much easier to monitor. In addition there seems to be a greater concern about internal bleeding or even external bleeding with cumidin. would you say Plavix is a much better choice for me. I thank you in advance for your help with this matter.

L Sklar
Plavix is not necessarily a better drug than Coumadin but it definitely involves less monitoring. Plavix, similar to aspirin, is effective in treating arterial clots (stroke, heart attack, peripheral arterial disease), whereas coumadin is effective in treating venous clots (deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism). Therefore, you would base your therapy on the type of clot you are being treated for.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.