Intelligence testing for gifted program

Just wondering if any of you have been through gifted program assessments for your children with Asperger's/nonverbal learning disorders.

My daughter's school district has recommended that she be tested for the upcoming school year (she'll be in 4th grade). This test is called the Raven Test. She is Aspeger's/nonverbal learning disorder, so I'm not quite sure how she will fair on this test. She gets reading, vocab, comprehension and is extremely interested in science etc., but has a lot of trouble with math and spatial concepts.

Just wondered if anyone out there (or your children) have taken this test and what to expect on it. Thanks!!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My son has asperger's, he is in grade six, we just got the results of the first level of testing for the gifted program. He scored on the CTBS reading 84% , Math 97% and on the CCAT verbal 83%, Quantitative 93 % and non - verbal 99 % . We were very inpressed but not surprised he is very smart but gets C & D on his report card. The school is taking him on to the next level of testing this friday, so we will see what happens. Not so much to put him into a gifted program, I really don't think he would fair well in that environment, but more just to know where he stands and what we could work to get out of him.
Helpful - 0
In third grade we were told he was operating academically on the 10th grade level (except for his writing level which is about a year behind).  He is considered academically gifted by any battery of tests that he has been administered.  He still goes to a special ed school because I think he would have trouble in a gifted class environment.  the special ed school just grade advanced him - which I thought was a better solution for us.   One of my daughter's friends is in honors at her school with an aide.  I'm pretty sure he has Asperger's from our chance meetings.  Everyone considers him the smartest kid in 4th grade but she is his only friend (they met at OT and growing up in an Aspie house sort of prepared her for him).  He seems a bit calmer than my son.  I think it all depends on the kid.    

It is not unusual to have a child with Apserger's that is gifted.  Their IQ bell is exactly the same as the general population.  

If your kid has a tremendous weakness in one area I would not put them in gifted - because these classes go at a very quick pace and require a ton of homework.  My son usually puts in about two hours a night because of the disorganization issues inherent in Aspergers.  So you really need to gauge how well your kid does homework too.  If you have to be on top of her - you are going to be going crazy.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Asperger's Syndrome Community

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?