dealing with an adult child who has aspergers

I am looking for someone to talk with about aspergers syndrom in the adult child.  I have many unanswered questions and am looking for some support, can you help?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you for your input! I just discovered this website and am thrilled to find that my son , now 24 is an aspie as l have suspected for years now. He is brilliant, handsome, clumsy, loyal, anxious and swee tooth.  He does not want to think he is an aspie. He plays many instruments, and graduated college with straight As. However, he has always been lonely as he can't seem to tolerate the give and take of intimate rdlationships. As his mother, he looks to me forsupport, which l give as freely and readily as he needs it. How can l help him? He struggles with grooming and organization.  Social situations make him more and more anxious, and yes he drinks alot.Any suggestions?

Helpful - 0
I have a 20 year old and he is diagnosed with aspergers. He graduated with honours and tried to go away to university which didn't work out. He is back at home and seems completely unmotivated to do anything but sit in the basement and play video games. he has had a couple jobs but tends to call in sick when he was working but then quit his jobs. I love him but am at my wits end. I don't know what do to. If anyone has any suggestions or advice I would very much appreciate the help. Thank you
Helpful - 0
resperidone- currently has a law suit against it.  skip that one  
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
Could i please have that web site address please my fiancee has aspergers and i didnt find out until ywo yrs into our relationship and i need help he also is bipoler so any help would b great thank u so verrry much
Helpful - 0
You need to get him on medication. Explain to him that, he can take it voluntarily, or someday, may have to take it from an institution, if this continues:
For irritability and aggression: mood stabilizers (valproate, carbamazepine, lithium), beta blockers (nadolol, propranolol), clonidine, naltrexone, neuroleptics (risperidone, olanzapine, quetiapine, ziprasidone, haloperidol)
This has made my 28 year old Aspie son, much easier to live with, and he has told his psychiatrist many times that, it has made a huge difference for him. Best of luck! (My son is on risperidone & Lexparo for depression. Very low doses, always with an Aspie)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Asperger's Syndrome Community

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?