Asperger's Syndrome Community
909 Members

first post - grandson w/Asperger's

My 4 year old grandson who lives in Highlands, NJ started preschool and the teacher recommended he be tested by a neurologist.  The neurologist said he suspects low level autism/aspergers and that he needs a team evaluation.

My daughter in law tells me that there is no place she can take him for at least 6 mos. They have Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance.

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to find a place for him to be evaluated soon.

Thank you so much
Barbara
Hello, I know just what your daughter is going through!  I went through an Asperger's website http://www.aspergersyndrome.org/Local.aspx.  This is a local search.

I found a private doctor whose wait time was much less than Children's Hospital.  But, here's the thing - depending on the insurance sometimes the private doctors have a harder time getting your insurance to cover it.

Because of that I ended up waiting on Children's and it just so happened that the process only took half as long as expected 3 months instead of 6.  Probably just luck but something to consider.

I hope this helps!  Hang in there!
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?