Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Diagnosed late?

My 13 yr old daughter had an abnormal ekg and is now awaiting an appointment w/a pediatric cardiologyst. The ekg showed enlarged right ventricle and enlarged left atrium. Her symptoms are shortness of breath with little activity..even during the night sometimes. Also she says it feels like her heart is squeezing. My question is, if she does have asd, how come it took this long for symptoms to show up? What do they do to repair it? She is a healthy fit 13 year old.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
395787 tn?1298428787
my daughter had an asd,and other heart complaints i didnt know about until her post mortem. i didnt want to write that previously because obviously i didnt want to scare the life out of you,but i guess im telling you now because also i dont want your daughter to be overlooked as mine was,im trying to say as a parent,doctors arent always right and make them listen if you feel something is wrong,.again i really dont mean to be so blunt,its just my experience im going from but also i know what your going through.im sure its absolutely nothing.but still. its your daughter. parents know best
Helpful - 0
395787 tn?1298428787
yes i did but everyones circumstances are different,the symtoms were clubbed fingers,chest pretudiing,fatigue,basically heart problems.syanosis...im sure your daughter will be totally fine but if your unsure dont wait and seek help straight away.
Helpful - 0
Not yet, we are still waiting.....Did you have a child diagnosed late? What were the symptoms?
Helpful - 0
395787 tn?1298428787
ive gone through a similar experience but ive only just seen your post so hopefully you have seen your cardiologyst by now.i hope all is well if so.keep posted
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Community

Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.