Aa
A
A
A
Close
Autoimmune Disorders Community
4.11k Members

Where to go from here?

I have been diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis, which I have read increases my risk of stroke and AMI. Given that I also have the AT3 deficiency so don't know what my base risk for vascular/cerebrovascular death is - how seriously do I take my stroke risk? If NSAIDS can cause intestinal bleeding and I have a blood disorder should I be trying to stay clear?
I am on the wait list for surgery to correct my scoliosis.  Does having the AS diagnosis make that more dangerous - will my body react to the surgery by fusing bone or over-responding? I've had sepsis and severe infection in the past, will lowering my immune response with chemo just make me receptive to staf etc. or will it make the bone healing safer?

What questions should I be asking of my rheumatologist?  

I'm all a bit lost in the fog of this at the moment and need some clarity and direction..
1 Responses
Hi, Jen...My husband suffers with AS. You have SO many questions that will need to be answered..I don't even know where to start. Death is the least of your problems, my dear. Your daily battles will be with pain management. And with the use of TNF inhibitors, fusing is less common than it used to be...but there are side effects, as there are with many of the drugs that your doctors will want to prescribe.

Make sure your rheumy has your medical history..and don't be afraid to ask questions.  You'll need a GOOD rheumy...one that is familiar with AS.

You have a fight ahead of you.  I am part of a support group on Facebook..suffers & support for suffers alike.  They've been wonderful.
Have an Answer?
Top Autoimmune Diseases Answerers
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.