when to switch from back facing to forward facing

I'm a ftm and learned so much in these last 11 months of being a mommy. But there is one thing I do not know. My daughter will be 11 months old on the 12 and she's about 20lbs. I know its not time yet but when do I switch her back facing car seat to forward facing?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I'm curious of this as well
Helpful - 0
Normally its when your child is 1 year old and at 20+ lbs. FYI though the American academy of pediatrics now recommends waiting until age 2.
Helpful - 0
Thanks! They also recommend booster seats till a child is 8 wich is outrageous if u ask me. Maybe I'll switch it over around the new year. Somewhere in between
Helpful - 0
Yeah if im not mistaken the law says child must be 1 and 20 lbs to face forward. I could nvr wait til age 2 because my kids have long legs and would fold in half facing rear at age 2 lol. Age 8 is a tad reduculoimus in my opinion too.
Helpful - 0
Yea my daughters pretty short for her age, but me n my boyfriend are short too. I would just like to see what she's up too back there. And giving her cookies to clam her down would be so much easier lol
Helpful - 0
My daughter will be two in December, she is still rear facing and will remain that way till she is to long. It really is safer, their bone structures get stronger the older they get, so the longer the better. And the laws have changed, I would googled the state laws where you live. In my state, its two yrs old unless recommended by a pediatrician something different. My older two 6&8 still both ride in booster seats in my van, my oldest without the back and younger with, because in my van the seatbelts don't sit correctly on either one unless in a booster. In my husbands car however, our 8 yr old rides without a booster.

Honestly, its your choice, but the safest option is to continue rear facing. And as far as the boosters go, if the seatbelt doesnt sit correctly on their sholder it can break their necks in a car accident, and if they put the belt under their arm it can damage internal organs.

But I would check your state specific laws
Helpful - 0
The reason it is recommended for ao long is thousands of people die in car crashes every year. Kids are much safer in properly installed and properly buckled car seats. Seems like its ridiculous but it could safe your child's life. My 2 and 3 year olds are still rear facing. He is
Helpful - 0
The reason it is recommended for so long is thousands of people die in car crashes every year. Kids are much safer in properly installed and properly buckled car seats. Seems like its ridiculous but it could safe your child's life. My 2 and 3 year olds are Both still rear facing. They are both about 25 pounds and their legs curl up but they don't mind. I had to put them forward facing once when we borrowed car seats and they kept them curled up anyway. Kids are flexible. I will have to turn my 3 year old to forward facing when his baby sibling is born end of January. He will be 3.5 then. I would leave him longer if I could though.
Helpful - 0
2 years at minimum is best! Extended rear facing saves lives! My 3 year old was turned at 2 and we intend to stick with 2 for our lo on the way. My oldest just turned 9 and used his booster til he was 8 to ensure the seat belt was correct. My 5 year old just got his booster seat last month at 5 and a half. He was still in a 5 5pt. Harness. Convienence is not a valid reason to forward face a child that is not ready. The American Pediatrica Association recommends 2 years rear facing.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Baby Products Community