Back & Neck Community

Acute Lower Back Pain Dropped Me To The Floor - Help

A short background, I have Ankylosing Spondylitis a herniated dehydrated disc at L7-S1 (lower back) , degenerative disc disease, a few other bulging in the lower back and one in my cervical spine (neck area) that has been causing occipital neuralgia related pain and headaches. I also have scoliosis in my neck. I have been going to pain management since 2007 (im only 36 years old now). Im not supposed to lift more than 10 lbs but I have 3 kids and a 1 year old daughter so I have no choice. I am used to a certain level of pain and gets better and worse sometimes but its become something ive learned to live with. What happened last night was a whole new level of pain! On a scale of 1-10 this was a 10.

Last night I put my little girl on the bed to change a diaper and I heard and felt this bizarre feeling/noise coming from my lower back and immediately intense radiating pain shot into my hips, legs, abdomen (even mid back) and arms dropping me to the floor in tears. It hurt to breathe, cry you name it. I was on the floor for 3 hours in the same position because every time I moved my arms for any reason even to hold something light sharp pains and weakness prevented it. Every time I tried to put any weight on either leg to get up I couldnt because the pain was so severe and I just wasnt able to. I even contemplated calling an ambulance.

My aunt is here so she quickly gave me my medications, Taped 2 icy hot patches on my back along with a huge bag of ice over it. I was able to slowly hold a position for a few minutes then when that stopped hurting so badly I moved a little more and so on until finally I was able to get myself on the bed.

This morning I am able to walk short periods with excruciating pain in my hips/legs and sitting for too long is very painful. I cannot bend over still. If i get up from sitting, turn my neck a certain way or move my arms in a certain way I feel the severe sharp pains still in my lower back still. It only feels a little better because I have a little more mobility today.

Has this happened to anyone before? If so what was the issue? I know i need to see my doctor but at the moment I dont have any childcare and I am too afraid to drive like this. Its unbearable, not improving and I do not understand why i feels no better than it did before I went to sleep.
I find that sometimes it only takes twisting the wrong way to throw my back out and send me into tremendous pain.  Why don't you call your doctor and see if he/she will prescribe some muscle relaxers you can take now until you can get into the doctor.  Have you ever done physical therapy for your back and neck?  My husband does them everyday and they really help.  He has that kind of pain you are talking about.  Also he has to pick up heavy seats and he wears a special belt that you may also benefit from.