Upper-mid Back Pain Only After Sleeping

For about 6 weeks I have been experiencing mid back pain when I wake up in the morning.  The pain is so bad, I cannot go back to sleep, and NO position change helps.  I must get out of bed and start walking around or sit in a chair for the pain to start going away.  After an hour or two, the pain basically disappears.  The pain seems to be emanating from my spine, and tensing up the back muscles nearest the spine.  

I have been seeing a chiropractor/massage therapist for about 4 weeks now, and it has not helped, because the pain is only after I sleep!

I am 23 years old. I help my dad deliver produce 2 times a week in the morning, and I am also a full time sales associate at Sears selling electronics (which I'm on my feet all day.)  That may cause a little lower back pain, but it goes away when I'm not working.

I have used a contour pillow, slept in all different kinds of positions (back and both sides), I always sleep with a full body pillow, and nothing has seemed to help.

I would appreciate any suggestions, thanks!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
EVERYONE with back problems, no matter the diagnosis, NEEDS to read one of Dr. John E. Sarno's books.  This man has helped thousands with chronic back problems with drugs/surgery. I was diagnosed (by MRI) with a slipped vertebrae (yes, vertebrae) and condition called spondylothesis.  This "condition" caused me low back pain, sciatica, tingling in my ankles, toe and lower leg.  After reading Sarno, my pain is GONE and I'm not alone.  Just check out all the people who have posted comments about Sarno on Amazon. com's book site. Also, do a search for Sarno on Wikipedia and open the link provided by ABC News 20/20 and John Stossel.  Sarno helped him after 15 years of back pain.  Forget the surgery.  Forget the drugs.  Get pain-free.  Get your life back. Read Dr. Sarno!!
Helpful - 0
Please excuse a typo I made in my previous post.  I meant to write that Sarno helps back pain patients WITHOUT drugs/surgery, rather than WITH surgery.  His method is not without controvery, but I'm here to tell all of you with back problems that his method does work.  
Helpful - 0
It is somewhat a relief to hear other people having the EXACT same issues as I am going through.  Here it is almost 4:00am and after researching on the net since I awoke at at 1:00am I have finally found other people like myself.  I definitely feel everyone's pain.  My thoracic mid-back pain has been going on for about 3 weeks now waking me up consisently every night after about 4 hours of sleep and it goes away roughly 30 minutes after getting out of bed and sleeping upright in a chair is not an option.  I have seen a pain doc, neurosurgeon, and physical therapy along with taking sleeping pills, celebrex, & flexeril.  Everyone is completely stumped with this issue and no meds have helped at all.  I plan on printing out everyone's comments, etc to bring them to my doctors.  Maybe this my trigger a spark of some sort.  If I hear of anything I will definitely pass along the info.  Thank you for posting your issue.......    
Helpful - 0
Are you a stomach, side, or back sleeper?  I'm a stomach sleeper and I have recently started TRYING to sleep on my back and it has made a difference with my pain.  It doesn't completely take away the pain in the middle of the night, but enough to sleep through it as long as I stay on my back the entire night.  I have to surround myself with pillows so I don't try to roll on my stomach in the middle of the night (thankfully my wife understands).  I have only been able to do this 3 or 4 nights, so the jury is still out.  I'm just wondering if sleeping on your back makes that much of a difference.  Thank you for any response.
Helpful - 0
This may be a shot in the dark. I have all the exact same symptoms, waking after about 4 hours of sleep with back spasms. I grind my teeth bad at night (maybe TMJ). I talked with my dentist about the jaw pain today and he explained it was from grinding and clinching in detail. I was driving home and it dawned on me. Can TMJ or nightly jaw clinching cause my back spasms? Makes sense, I grind my teeth and clinch my jaw for 4 hours straight without knowing it.

The dentist said you apply a constant 400 lbs per square inch of presure on your jaw muscles at night and keep doing it because your not aware of it. When your awake you dont do it. I called him when I got home and explained my back spasms, sore shoulders and neck muscles and asked if the jaw clinching could cause muscle spasms in my back. He said "absolutley"! he has patients with these symptoms and told me he could fit me with a custom night guard that costs $650.00 so tonight Ill sleep with my teeth whitening plastic guard ( 5 bucks!) that is similar and see if it prevents the grinding.

Research TMJ or nightly jaw clinching associated with back spasms. Since no doctors are associating this with back spasms it just may be whats causing them. Hey, its worth looking into, I cant find a solution. I just spend $1500.00 on a Tempurpedic mattress, slept on it last night and woke again paralysed in back spasms yet again, its every night for me. I get up, prop up on the couch with some pillows and it slowly subsides then its fine all day with the exception of some soreness from the spasms. Just a thought. Im miserable.
Helpful - 0
It still amazes me how many of us have this problem and it is so hard to find the "diagnosis" or some relief. I was so miserable again this morning too. I have seen gastroenterologists and different MDs for this problem. I just need some sleep, I am so tired of waking in the middle of the night in so much pain and unable to get back to sleep because of the pain. I'm going to research TMJ and back spasms...I'm open for suggestions. Thanks
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Back & Neck Community