Upper-mid Back Pain Only After Sleeping

For about 6 weeks I have been experiencing mid back pain when I wake up in the morning.  The pain is so bad, I cannot go back to sleep, and NO position change helps.  I must get out of bed and start walking around or sit in a chair for the pain to start going away.  After an hour or two, the pain basically disappears.  The pain seems to be emanating from my spine, and tensing up the back muscles nearest the spine.  

I have been seeing a chiropractor/massage therapist for about 4 weeks now, and it has not helped, because the pain is only after I sleep!

I am 23 years old. I help my dad deliver produce 2 times a week in the morning, and I am also a full time sales associate at Sears selling electronics (which I'm on my feet all day.)  That may cause a little lower back pain, but it goes away when I'm not working.

I have used a contour pillow, slept in all different kinds of positions (back and both sides), I always sleep with a full body pillow, and nothing has seemed to help.

I would appreciate any suggestions, thanks!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I'm a 32 yr old mother of three, who in the past has suffered form various bad bouts of quite severe lower back pain due to an injury I suffered when I was 13.
These bouts come and go and I can mostly manage without intervention.  This time round the pain, as described by everyone here, is the most disturbing.  Lack of sleep, with the pain sometimes taking 1 to 2 hrs to subside once i'm awake, is sending me mad. Interesting comment from DannyH.  I often wake with really stiff jaws as well as with the back pain, When first openeing my mouth it takes quite some effort and both jaws click, which in itself is quite uncomfortable.  I haven't yet sort any medical advice as for all this time I thought it was my mattress and previous back injury.  Will keep looking for updates and let you know how I get along.
MaggieB( from down under)
Helpful - 0
Hi, I also have the same mid-back pain after sleeping about 3 hours. It hurts to turn over or even take a deep breath. I am 35, recently had twins, am still about 10 pounds overweight and have bad posture. I'm wondering if the weight and posture have anything to do with the pain.?.? Does anyone else have bad posture and some extra weight on them?
Thanks!
Helpful - 0
hey guys, here are my 2 cents:

It actually does make sense that it could be a TMJ problem. Grinding of teeth cause immense pressure and muscle spasms in your jaw, thus causeing pain. I know, you wonder how can my jaw influence my back, right? Your jaw muscle tire out, and recruit other muscle groups to help carry some of the work. Its that same thing with any muscle group, as you notice as you are working out and get to the end of a set, your form is off, as your body subconsciously recruits other muscles when in need. Now the problem is that after a while, these muscle start to stay in spasm instead of constantly relaxing. This changes your alignment and causes some muscles to be stretched and others to be shortened. This makes these muscles easier to tire, and thus can cause pain in the mid back, as I can guess most of you don't have good posture to start with. I would get a mouth guard made and atleast try it out.

Other option is it could be a rib problem, especially when it radiates into your sternum. You should be able to feel one rib that is painful to pressure in the front, back or side. If you have fallen or been hit it makes this likely.

One final condition that also can produce pain like this is costo-chondritis. Its inflammation in the cartalge between the ribs and can be very painful, but very treatable.

Hope this helps, and check out www.chirofacts.info to find a dentist or other doctor near you
Helpful - 0
WOW! I too did not know there were so many fellow undiagnosed sufferers of the same symptoms. Mine have been around at least a year. I,too,have had MRI's,x-rays and chiropractic intervention...to no happy end. Mine started with a burning pain between my right shoulder blade and my spine. I get tingling on top of both shoulders,and have quite a bit of upper neck pain. I,too,wake very early with pain that feels like someone has attached vice-grips to my spine,between my shoulder blades,then squeezes. It usually radiates to my ribcage,sometimes to my chest. I take ambien regularly (small doses);and hydrocodone and ibuprofen for the ache. But,like most of you,getting up and about for a while seems to make it go away.
I am 60,male. Interestingly,in about 1975,while bending into a grocery cart,I experienced intense,nearly paralyzing pain in that area. Thought it was a heart attack. I barely made it home (I was alone,and unable to turn my head on the drive home). My wife called the Dr.,who prescribed muscle relaxants. Three days later,it was gone. But it was the EXACT SAME PLACE as now.
The only other odd symptom is that that place in my spine also sometimes gets very numb at the surface,while still radiating ache,as does my neck.
*** I think it VERY important to all the good people here that if any of us get an answer as to what their malady is,that you let us all know,so that we may pass it on to our own medical providers for consideration & evaluation.***
Good luck to all.
Tim
Helpful - 0
I was so glad when I found this forum. I have the same thing. In fact I should be sleeping right now but had to get out of bed, I had a hard time just rolling over. I hurt so bad in the morning and it is so hard even to try and breath. I have problems with the discs in my neck one in my low back. I can't believe so many people have this problem also. Sometimes I get it during the day but that is rare.Some days I would get a stack of pillows and lay over top of them to see if it would relieve the pressure. It helped sometimes. I have missed work because of this. Mine started with a work related injury to my back and neck.
I actually bought this thing I seen on tv for exercising called the bean. It said when you turn it over it releives back stress, well I was desperste for some relief and to my amazement it works. It makes a big arc that stretches the back. My only problem is that it is so big I have no where to keep it inflated to use on a regular basis so when I really need it I have to inflate it. It does help though. Maybe you can try the stack of pillows first to see if that helps. Sorry to hear so many people feel the same thing but at least I know I am not the only one with this same thing.
Good luck.
Helpful - 0
Out of curosity,have any of you had Bell's Palsey? Did you have it while thses mid-back issues were there also?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Back & Neck Community