Hi,sorry to know it,Clinically ,if symptom constant,perhaps another spinal fusion should be done.don't rush to surgery,give enough time for your conservative healing.
This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Thanks for the reply. I did some websurfing last night and saw that there are other options such as medications and physical therapy. I am at a disadvantage for medications somewhat since I take coumadin. I just cant believe that I had the fusion done only to have the next disc down herniate. Is this something I need to consider if I decide to go w another fusion? Do i have to expect that the next one down will go out of whack?
Unfortunately, when you have a fusion, the risk of further herniation on the levels above and below are greatly increased. I had a three level fusion and I am told that the risk is high for additional surgery in the future.
I have a spinal fusion scheduled for my c6-c7 area. Does a fusion make the surrounding discs more susceptible to herniation? I forgot to ask my neurosurgeon some questions - does anyone know if the same incision site is used? the same hip for a donor bone? any answers are greatly appreciated!
the more levels fused the more pressure on surrounding discs...but more support is gained..though there is less mobility...I had c5,6,7 3 months ago..so far so good...the chance of the next disc failing are 2.9% per year for 10 years..according to a general study
Thank you for your reply. I didnt't know what the chances were - like I said - I neglected to ask the neurosurgeon a lot of questions. I can't wait to have this done so I can go on pain free again.