I am bipolar

I am 22 and when I was 16 I was diagnosed manic depressant aka bipolar. I stopped taking my medication when I got dropped from my fathers insurance when I was 18 what can I do and where can I turn with no insurance to get back on my med's? I am going through alot and having a lot of up's and down's and there getting to the point where I cant controll it anymore.
Google free mental health clinics in  as a start.  There are places that will see you for free or for a reduced cost if you don't have insurance, especially if you are low income.  Also, under Obamacare, you should be able to be on your parents' insurance until you are 26.  Call up the insurance company (or have your dad call) and ask them about it.
We have DOD Tricare. My 22 year old son is on the policy but It's very limited coverage. If he wants healthcare he has to turn the ER because he can't get a regular appointments. He's on a waiting list. I recommend calling free mental health clinics in the area where you live. Or try Public Aid Clinics.  If he or she is a Veteran they can use the VA system even if the mental issue was not service connected. They pay a co-pay $50 for speciality appointments. I think $9.00 for perscription. I think they have mail order perscription too. I got a six month supply of Saphris for $44 but that was through Tricare.
Oh by the way if you stay on your parents health insurance you need to be in college.
No you don't. From a Kaiser Health News article (I just googled about the healthcare law and 26), "Under the health law, health plans and employers must offer coverage to enrollees’ adult children until age 26 even if the young adult no longer lives with his or her parents, is not a dependent on a parent’s tax return, or is no longer a student".
I know that but I am not and I am married so it would have cancaled it out anyways
I think it's pretty stupied law. It should be for college bound students. When do adult children stand on their feet? Our daughter left our healthcare and is working as a hairdresser. She got her own health insurance. It's limited insurance which is okay. At a young age your pretty healthy. My son will be turning 23 and tricare is changing his health coverage.
For one, do you know how bad the job market still is?  It is not so easy for college graduates to get a job straight out of school now, and many healthcare plans they are offered are terrible.  It is really expensive for everyone when a young person ends up in the ER and can't pay their exorbitantly high bills--the hospital loses out by not being paid (or not being paid enough) by the insurance company, and the economic growth of the young person is seriously stifled by the bill, which is not good for the economy.  

And young people aren't always healthy.  For one, they're a bit more likely to get into car accidents.  For two, there are plenty of chronic diseases people my age can and do get that would be prohibitively expensive to treat without good health insurance.  I've been in physical therapy for months due to a back issue that, as far as anyone can tell, arose from my being overly flexible.  And I was diagnosed as bipolar II in January, which has led to a string of appointments and costs for medications.  The early 20s is the classic age for mental health problems to show up.  I don't even want to think about what it would have cost me without good insurance.
I just went down to the military hospital because my son will be turning 23 in August. They change our policy for dependents if you want to keep them until 26. We will have to pay $276 for Tricare prime and $259 for Tricare standard each month. I think that's the cheapest price because my daughter pays about the same amount for her insurance. We can't afford to keep our son on our policy! He will have to use his school loan to pay for his health insurance because his school requires health insurance coverage while going through school. You have to be rich to keep your kids on your healthplan until they reach 26.
Did you know your car insurance has medical coverage incase you get injuried while driving your car?
Sorry wrong amounts. $176 for Prime and $152 for Standard. Still we can't afford that each month. He will have to use his school loan to pay for it. We are maxed out as a family. The only financial help he's getting is $88 dollars a month for spending money. He got several scholarships but has a loan to pay off. Personally I think young people should look into the trades like my daughter did. They are marketable. Her hair dressing school cost $23,000.for a year of schooling. We split the cost of the loan and we were able to pay of that loan off. My daughter worked for a hair dresser while getting her lincense. My daughter went to college and didn't like it. Not every kid should go to college.If your a average student you stuck with a terrible loan to pay off. And our economic conditions there are no jobs out their for young people. The kids come back home to live with their parents because they can't afford a apartment. My daughter has her own apartment and has a new car.  I think this country overrate college.

You are reading content posted in the Bipolar Disorder Community