Baby Finches! Plz Help!

Today we need to clean out the bird cages so friends could take the birds away, after we relised that there we alot of baby finches left in the about half of the nests, we couldnt do anything about it cause the parents were already gone :(
So atm I have them laying all rugged up in a blanket under them i have the electric blanket on low.
Tonight I feed them weetbix mixed with milk, I relised later on the net that you shouldnt feel them milk because they are not mammals and cant digest lactose.
So now im stuck on what to feed them, tomorrow we are going to make a egg & biscuit paste which we have feed the other birds before.
But.. How often do we feed them and what about water?? how often with that too??
Plz help me, i really do not want them to die and they all have a different range of age. some are only fluff atm!
I'm not sure how young the birds are. Do you have any idea? Most pet stores have baby bird formulas for seed eaters. We use something called Exact. It's a powder that's mixed with water and fed to the birds. There's another one called Nutristart. Check with your stores and see what they carry. If the babies are hatchlings (just a couple days old) you may not be able to save them. Also call around, see if you can contact a breeder or an avian vet. They could give you guidelines on how often and how much to feed them (I won't go into calculating Kcals here) and how to get them onto normal food.

As for heat, it's good to keep them warm but they can overheat too. Give them a spot away from the heat where they can move if they choose to. Again, it depends on how old they are.
It has been a week today and we have lots half of our birds! Big and Small!
We have also changed what we are feeding them to hand rearing formula! They are all doing good, except the ones we lots of course, any idea's or suggestions would be good.
thankyou Sharni,
*****It has been a week today and we have lost half of our birds! Big and Small!
We have also changed what we are feeding them from weetbix to hand rearing formula after we lost 3 in 2 days! They are all doing good, except the ones we lost of course, any idea's or suggestions would be good.
thankyou Sharni,
Have you been able to get some guidelines from a breeder or even another finch owner? I can't say how much to feed them or how often because I'm not familiar with pet birds, only wild ones. Plus, the feeding schedule will change as they get older. Sorry, I don't know what else to tell you. I don't want to give you the wrong information.
Were living with a breeder, but he is got rid of his finches and wants nothing to do with them :( so me, it being my first time at this thing is stressing to the max. I feed them every 4 hours cause that what the pet shop said to do, they seem to be okay with that :) and they last about 6-8 hours in the night with out a feed! I just feed them till there little crops are full and they seem good with that too :)
and why is it that there skin has gone very red? is it because they are growing or are they too hot or too cold?
they haven't had the electric blanket for a while now, do they need it again?
thankyou :)
Every 4 hours?  That is soooo different than the way we take care of wild baby birds. As a general rule, if we have hatchlings (naked babies, eyes closed) we feed them every 20 minutes; for fuzzy babies with down and eyes open we feed every half hour; for those with pin feathers or some real feathers we feed every hour. It's true that they don't need to be fed after dark. They just settle down and sleep. In the wild the parents are not out grabbing food for them in the dark. I'm talking about songbirds now. Owls are different. Pigeons have a large crop and are fed much less frequently.

One more thing, you can overfill the crop. It should bulge a bit and be visible. But if you overfeed them there's a chance some could back up in their mouth and they'll aspirate it. That's deadly. Another thing to watch is to see that the crop is emptying between feedings. If the crop is still bulging, don't give more food. I've had volunteers stay right on the schedule for feeding wild finches and the birds died from sour crop. House finches will gape and beg even if they're ready to pop. It's just a reaction, not that they're starving for food. I don't know if pet finches have similar behavior. Just watch the crop.

I see baby birds turn dark pink when they're too warm but typically they'll gape and pant as well. If their skin is extremely pale and they seem inactive, I assume they're too cold. It's a balancing act and that's why we use incubators. Perhaps there's some information on line about finches. You'll need to learn how to wean them from the chick starter to the regular diet. Good luck and I'm glad they're doing OK so far.
Oh thank you, :)
Is so hard to know what to do with out proper advice, I really wish the nest were taken out months before by the breeder, then we wouldn't of had this problem.
But now that I'm here I'm trying my best! :|
I have 2 fuzzy babies that are starting to grow feathers out of there wings and 3 babies with pin feathered but aren't fully covered yet and I that has got all of its feathers.
Wow, I didn't know about the crop thing, but thank you know I know what to do if it isn't empty.
I had the towel covering there home doubled over because we couldn't run the heat blanket anymore, so I put it over once instead of 2 times and they aren't as red now, :)
My 3 little ones I lost were really pale, so that mean that they weren't warm enough, it was so hard trying to get them to stay warm and that was when I was using the heat blanket!
I really have no idea how old they are, :s so its confusing when to know when to start changing their food!  
I might google it and see if there is pictures of the ages!

You are reading content posted in the Birds Community

For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.