Could adding millet to a cockatiel diet cause a life threatening deficiency?

Hi Everyone,

My Cockatiel Sunny suddenly fell off his perch and then spread his wings and was making rapid little clucks like a seizure or something. My husband picked him up and put him on his chest where he stopped the clucking and within minutes, he died. The only thing we noticed (after he died) is that he was unusually quiet in the morning. Normally he squawks at us in the morning wanting to see us and say hello or come out of his cage to run around on the floor. When we say goodnight, he gives a little squeak cluck as if saying good night to us too. He was totally normal the day before, squawking in the morning and waddling around on the floor, singing and saying his signature "Sunny Bird Comere" but he didn't squeak goodnight and of course I noticed it but didn't think it was because he was off because he was fine all day. He was almost 23 years old and I thought he was going to live to be 30 when I found out they could live this long. I cried all afternoon and tear up whenever I think about him. I'm at work and can't concentrate because  He was such a good birdie. He never ever bit anyone. He'd jump on my finger and sit on my shoulder to pick at my earrings.

I'm obsessively thinking that it must  be my fault somehow. We just allowed him recently to have millet as a treat. We'd gotten millet one time but he freaked out when we tried to hang it on his cage. We didn't think to just put it on the floor. When we did think of that, he went to it and loved it. Now I'm worried that he ate too much millet or something was wrong with it and he didn't get enough of his other food for vitamins.

I can't believe he is gone. I was sure he would make it to at least 30! Does anyone know often do birds live to 30?
Do you think the millet caused him to have a vitamin shortage? We put it on the floor about 2 weeks ago so I'm worried that was why he died and I feel terrible about it.

Plus I just want to get comfort from people who have been through this. You understand how much these little birds become part of the family and how devastating it is when they leave.

Catherine

You are reading content posted in the Birds Community

Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.