Fallen Baby bird

So Today Me and my brother were outside and we found a baby bird that had fallen out of a tree It looked like it was trying to fly but fell. It looked like it had broke it's wing and in order to get it away from a cat coming to get it my brother had to pick it up twice with his bare hands. I don't want to keep it as a pet and I can't afford to take it to the vet. I am not going to abandon it outside either. Can anyone tell me what I can do to get this little fella on it's way?
Many birds fall or jump from the nest when they "fledge." They have most of their feathers, even stubby tail feathers when they come out. But sitting in the nest all day long doesn't give them the chance to exercise and build up their flying muscles. So they come out and run around on the ground, flapping their wings. The parents will continue to watch over them and feed them for a few weeks or more depending on the species.

Occasionally a young bird will injure itself when it comes out. Many people assume that because the bird can't fly, it must be broken. Does the wing look crooked or different from the wing on the other side? Is the bird active and alert? If everything looks good, then I'd recommend putting the bird back outside under a bush for the parents to continue to care for it. This is a dangerous time but also an important time for the bird to learn survival skills and to feed itself.

It' OK that you touched the bird. Birds don't have a great sense of smell so the parents will NOT reject it.

If the bird is younger, with few feathers, make an artificial nest with a small box and tissues and tack it up in a nearby tree close to where you found it.

If the bird is actually injured, call your local wildlife care center. If you don't know where that is, call your fish and game office or the zoo or a vet. See if they can tell you how to get in touch with your local wildlife rehabilitator.
Thank you so much! I just put it into some bushes near where we found it! Reallly thank you so much I had no Idea what to do :D you really made my day! thank you!
Happy to help. I've been working with wildlife for over 19 years now. I love the work even though we don't always get the happy ending. Just helping them out and seeing some of them return to the wild is reward enough.
I cannot believe that you did this!   I cannot believe anyone could do such a horrific thing!  That is such an unforgivable sin you have committed!  How could any human being have placed an injured baby bird into the bushes anywhere near where she KNEW cats could be wandering about to attack this poor little defenseless thing?  I hope that someday you are repaid by God for the cruelty you have placed upon this poor little defenseless animal!  Shame on you!!   Your evil actions will keep me up at nights for weeks, maybe months and if it doesn't keep you up then there is definitely something wrong with you!
I am soooo sorry.  I got confused and thought you were the one who just put that poor little defenseless, injured baby bird in the bushes to be eaten by some animal..  I cannot tell you how sorry I am about that email I sent.  It was supposed to go to that horrible woman who put that little bird out in the bushes to be eaten by some cat or raccoon.  How could she have done that?  You were only trying to tell her where she could take the injured bird for help.  You are a very good person, a humanitarian.   I hope that you will forgive me for the email I sent to you because it was purely a mistake.  Can you believe what that women did?  I can't!  Once again, I am so sorry and please forgive my mistake.  I am so angry at what she did I can not think straight!  Please take care of yourself and God bless you and yours, Di
The email I sent to Irene was meant for you Ruthie422.  Can you sleep nights after what you did? I'm curious because you sent that poor little defenseless injured bird to it's death for sure!  Did you bother to look around the area before you laid the little birdie down for dinner?  Please think about this before you close your eyes at night.
I understand your worry about the baby bird. Ruthie did ask for advice; that's a good first step. In some cases a young bird should be left with the parents to learn their survival skills. Too often we get perfectly healthy fledgling birds brought into our care center. The people who found them are worried about the safety of the bird that can't fly yet. And that's a very legitimate concern. Fledglings are very vulnerable. But "bird"- napping them from the parents is not the best idea. Sure, we can feed them, keep them in a cage till they learn to fly. But what happens when they go out in the wild again and can't tell a cat from a turtle. One is dangerous, one is not. Most likely they don't survive long. We may feel good when we release them but they're not prepared.

Not all little animals survive and that's a fact. It's rough and downright ugly at times in the world of wildlife. But bringing them in to live in a cage surrounded by other sick animals in the room is not safe either. It's so difficult to balance between what we want to do and what will be best in the long run for the animal's survival.

I have no idea if the bird Ruthie found was injured. Most birds fledge from the nest with no problems. Even crows that nest from very high places seem to bounce pretty well when they come down. It's amazing. I'm hoping if there was any question or doubt in her mind, she would have taken it to a facility to be examined. That's what I tell people who call on the phone. If they're not sure, bring it in and we'll check it out. If it's healthy, we will want them to take the baby back to the parents to finish raising it.

Our biggest complaint is cats running loose. So many of the injured birds (adults as well) are cat caught. We strongly encourage people to keep their cats in and find some other entertainment for them besides chasing helpless animals outdoors. Cats are not a "natural" part of our environment any more. And they don't kill for survival, they do it for fun.

You may disagree with me and that's fine. I completely understand your concerns. But I also know raising an animal in a cage is not good preparation for the outside world.

You are reading content posted in the Birds Community

For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.