Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

sick baby

I have 3 week old finches. Two babies had enlarged and engorged sacs on their necks. They also had long necks and failed to thrive. Any ideas what could have been wrong? Thank you.
2 Responses
187666 tn?1331173345
Hmm, when I've seen an enlarged sac on the neck area, it was a full crop. If the crop isn't emptying, it will develop bacteria and the baby will die. Are they warm enough to digest their food properly? Are you hand feeding them? If so, it's possible you're feeding too much or too often. I don't know about pet finches but house finches are like that. I've had some of my volunteers over feed baby house finches because they were still begging. I showed them the crop area and how engorged it was. Later I showed them how it should look when fed the right amount. I haven't seen your birds so I can't know for sure what's going on. But this is all I can think of right now.
Thanks, it makes sense. Mom bird has been feeding them and the other three are doing great under the same conditions.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Birds Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.