Brown discharge that has lasted longer than usual?

I have been taking birth control (Alysena) for just under one year now. However, there have been some months or weeks where I decided to take a short break from them as I had no use for them.
Recently, after I had finished one pack, I waited a few days and began to have the withdrawal bleed/”mock” period (this is normal for me, usually lasts about 4 days). I then started my new pack on the same day – I had never done this before as I always waited until I finished bleeding but I assumed the pills could be taken at any point in the cycle.
The brown discharge that I usually consider my withdrawal bleed has been happening for just over a week and a half now. I don’t believe it’s a major cause for concern as I don’t have any other symptoms along with it (no smell, no burning or itchiness, no cramps, etc).
I am wondering if I might be low on estrogen, or if my pH levels may be off balance? Or if I screwed up my cycle somehow. I was also wondering if going off the pill, waiting until the discharge goes away, and then starting again is a good idea, or if I should continue taking the pill so I don’t disrupt anything further? I’d like to get rid of the discharge as soon as possible, if possible.
So, you kind of sound like you are determining your own schedule of when to take them?  I'm a big fan of following instructions explicitly to get an expected outcome.  If you aren't doing that, having break through spotting or irregular spotting is going to be more common. A week and a half is longer than usual, correct? Normally it is three weeks on and one week off for a regular schedule.  You probably should use back up birth control right now (condoms) to make sure you are safe) and yes, I'd continue the pill until you are done with the full cycle of it.  Talk to your doctor if the spotting continues.

You are reading content posted in the Birth Control (Contraception) Community