Birth Control (Contraception) Community

Nuvaring: first ring start after abortion, continuous bleeding and cramping

Had a 2nd trimester surgical abortion nearly 4 weeks ago now, started the nuvaring 1 week after that, had little to no spotting the week prior to ring insertion. After ring was put in had continuous light bleeding getting heavier and heavier until now it is like a light period right along with cramping [mild to severe at times]
My ring is to be removed this upcoming Sunday for my period week, should I remove the ring to start my period and wait til the next week for insertion of new ring or will I not get a period due to this continuous bleeding and should immediately insert new ring?
If I do remove the ring and wait a week to insert, am I still protected against pregnancy?