Should I begin active sprintec pills while bleeding?

I've been taking sprintec birth control for about 2 years now. I usually skip the placebos to delay bleeding/period, so have withdrawal bleeding every three months or so. When breakthrough bleeding begins, I'll take placebo pills and stop taking the active pills (recommended by doctor) for the few bleeding days and then return to active pills when bleeding stops. However, I started withdrawal bleeding last Monday but kept taking active pills because I was distracted. I realized I should probably take placebo pills that Friday. So, I started bleeding Monday and took 4 days of active pills, then realized what I was doing and took placebo pills on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and this Monday (today). My period has been going this whole time, with heavier bleeding starting the Friday I stopped active pills. My question is should I continue placebo pills till bleeding stops? Or should I take the normal 7 days worth of placebo (which would make the bleeding around 11 days)? Or should I start taking active pills now? I've been bleeding in total 8 days, with the first 4 days on active pills and 4 days on placebo pills.

You are reading content posted in the Birth Control (Contraception) Community