What are the effects of stopping depo?

I started taking depo when I was 16. I'm 18 now and stopping mainly because I want my body to return to normal for a while since I've been spotting almost daily. I'm due for my shot from 5/5-5/19 but I'm not sure what will happen after that window passes. Everything I've found on the internet is very vague because there hasn't been a lot of research on what happens when you stop. I do know that my body will produce tons of estrogen to make up for the hormonal imbalance but how long will it take for things to go back to normal? And what will happen while things are sitting themselves out?

You are reading content posted in the Birth Control (Contraception) Community