Blood Disorders Community
946 Members

Blood clots; formation, detection and remedies

Hello, I am trying to do some research on blood clots and I want to get a broad range of perspectives on this topic as the questions that I am trying to find the answer to are essential to attaining a sophisticated understanding of how blood clots work.

My first question is simply, how do blood clots form? What causes blood clots to form?

Under the circumstances of blood clot formation, are they self-curing?

Next, How can we determine if so, whether or not someone has a blood clot visually? By visually I mean enlarged veins that appear on the skins? Any rashes or changes in skin color?

Finally, what medical practices prevent these blood clots from building up, and remediate these naturally occurring phenomenons?
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else