Can Beta-Thalassemia Minor have symptoms?

I am 22 years old and have been diagnosed with Beta Thallassemia minor by a doctor. All my life I have felt tired, had palpitations (When I was younger), flatulence and difficulty concentrating and fuzziness. I cannot really look people directly in the eye sometimes because its too hard on my eyes (it strains them) even though I have perfect vision. Doctors have told me that I need no treatment and that Thallassemia has no symtpoms. I go to sleep tired and I wake up tired. I can be tired after 12 hours sleep! Can I be suffering symptoms from my thallassemia. Does any one else feel the same way that I do? This is a little bit hard for me, but I don't want to complain.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Well its wonderful to hear that I am not alone in the world... I am 35 and have lived my whole life tired!!! When i gave birth to my first daughter at age 22... I ended up needing a blood transfusion... and not because I lost alot of blood... Our blood cells will break down under situations of extreme stress... yet doctors still continue to tell me that Thalassemia Minor should have no symptoms.... I am always tired god help me if I should run.. I get so out of breath so easily. I get heart palpatations off and on out of the blue, My hands and feet (mostly feet) are always cold!! I used to get bad headaches but not as much anymore... I inherited this lovely trait from my mothers side of the family (Italian)... Unfortunately I have given the trait to all three of my daughters..... I will tell you from my one and only experience with the blood transfusion that I went from my death bed to instantly energized.. I felt better than I ever felt or feel... It was a temporary fix and I soon returned to my tired self... I would like to know if anyone else has scoliosis? Thalassemia is known to cause bone diformity during your youth... just curious if any of you have this as well..... thanks and be well
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
Hello excuse my french I'm glad to see that I'm not alone Here in France the doctors don't want to believe me They said ther is no need to treat this anemia but me and my sister (italians)are always tired(insult lazy ...)and need more sleep hours I have palpitations and this is my lab results:red blood cells:6.67 tera/l(norm4-5,70)hemoglobin134g/l(norm140-175)VGM63(norm 82-97)CGMhb 31.9(32-36=TGMhb20.1(27-33)hypochromia and microcytosis in important proportions THANK you to tell me if my results are the same of yours MARC
Helpful - 0
I am amazed at what I am reading.  I am a 50 year old female and have been tired all my life.  I have always stayed up late and needed to sleep a lot during the day.  I have Thallasemia Minor and thought I was just lazy because the Drs. said it has no symptoms. I also had some depression and anxiety attacks. My dad, brother and son have it, too.  They don't seem to get as tired as I do, tho. I can relate to that vision thing, too.  I wear glasses, but sometimes I just have a hard time seeing clearly.
Helpful - 0
I am a 50 year old female with Thallasemia Minor. My father and brother also have this disorder. All of my life I have been plagued with tiredness and depressive symptoms. I now take an anti-depressant for the depression, which helps. The tiredness has contributed to a slow weight gain over the years from lack of exercise. I wish that someone could help those of us with this disorder to feel better on a daily basis. I have been warned to avoid iron supplememts as people with thallasemia minor can ingest too much iron and get toxic levels. You might want to consult your doctor before taking extra iron supplements.
Helpful - 0
RE:  Beta-Thalassemis Minor and Healing

Some of the solutions to the Beta-thalassemia issue are based on diet.  Eating rare red meat will provide the water soluble iron most needed in the high functioning systems of people with this condition.

Consuming rare cooked red meat, especially beef liver and other organ meat, will begin to heal a body that is non-alkaline.  The alkaline blood system has a blood tested pH of 7.2 or higher for the most energy possible.

Drinking 55 oz of water before one brushes one's teeth, and then no food or beverages for one hour, will begin to heal over  30 diseases.  

A diet of fresh raw fruits and vegetables will also provide that needed diet of 80% alkaline raw foods  needed to allow the body to heal from the inside  out.

Essential oils is another form to encourage the body to self heal.

I would offer this, those people with Beta-Thallassemis will feel more healthy if they increase the protein in their diet as  their brains tend to require more high protein foods.  

I would see these individuals with this condition as needing to rise in talents and gift development.  The key here is to let that "light" shine and use those intuitive abilities.

If one feels "stuck", or in a period of "stuckness", then these kinds of diseases will develop as a part of a rare kind of "mid- life crisis".

Study biofeedback, and using your body to heal from the inside out, and life will improve greatly.

I hope this has been helpful.

Love and light to your eyes and heart

Best Ken Bush

e-mail ***@****
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Blood Disorders Community

Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else