Can Beta-Thalassemia Minor have symptoms?

I am 22 years old and have been diagnosed with Beta Thallassemia minor by a doctor. All my life I have felt tired, had palpitations (When I was younger), flatulence and difficulty concentrating and fuzziness. I cannot really look people directly in the eye sometimes because its too hard on my eyes (it strains them) even though I have perfect vision. Doctors have told me that I need no treatment and that Thallassemia has no symtpoms. I go to sleep tired and I wake up tired. I can be tired after 12 hours sleep! Can I be suffering symptoms from my thallassemia. Does any one else feel the same way that I do? This is a little bit hard for me, but I don't want to complain.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
This is the first Web site I've found where there are people with the same symptoms that I have. I am a 32 year old male who lives in Seattle, WA. I have Thalassemia minor and suffer mainly from ongoing fatigue. I am ALWAYS tired, no matter how well I eat or what vitamins I take. Doctors tell me that I'm fine and "just need to avoid Iron and do some aerobic exercise." I would exercise if I had the energy to. It's comforting to see postings from people all over the world. It tells me that I'm not alone and that Thalassemia minor needs to be taken seriously. It took the medical community decades to realize that Chronic Farigue Syndrome is "real." It's seems that we have the same challenge with Thalassemia minor.

For anyone who would like to chat directly,
My email address is

***@****

Thank you.
Helpful - 0
I hear you all and it doesn't get a lot better as you get older.  I'm 45.  Getting pregnant took 7 years for me and then it almost killed me.  Border Diabetes, Toxemia and premature labor.  Birth caused a vaginal hemotoma (I'm a real bleeder) Hemohorraged 9 days after birth from hormonal inadequacy.  Was so weakened that I got sick with Thyroiditis.  It caused a cyst on my thyroid and tyroid problems for years.  My heart palpitates and has other irreguar rythyms.  May require a devise to keep the rythym corrected in the future.  I'm foggy minded alot of the time even though I score high (mensa) on intellegece tests. (just can't spell worth a darn!)  I don't go to bed until after 2am and sleep for at least 10 hours in order to function.  11 or 12 hours is better.  I have insomnia part of the time. I have to take several supplements a day in order to function.  I'm going through peri menapause and what a trip!!  My muscles are overly flexable and bones are very tiny.  I bruise super easy.  Played catch with a football and my arms are so bruised that I look like a junky!!  I'm out of breath frequently but register at 100 % for oxygen level testing.  It takes me forever to get over illnesses normally.  I have found garlic and onion eatting and holistic tinctures with these and mytake mushrooms very helpful in helping me to fight viruses.  My lungs tend to get congested easily and I have constant nasal allergies which are helped by using Nasalcrom ( a cromolyn sodium solution) sprayed up my nose.  I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia which causes pain and stiffness.  I was bed ridded with this until I went off all pain meds and started to take supplement.  Metagenics is the brand of vitamins I'm taking.  Folic acid is a must. Minerals and Vitamin plus extra calcium, and evening primrose oil. My gallbladdar is acting up so I've eleminated black pepper and excessively greasy foods.  My kidneys get overstressed easily so I can't do more than 6 glasses of water a day.  Remember that Talassemia usually gives you low oxygen to your organs no matter what the readings to measure oxygen levels. This means our organs are more stresses than "normal" people.  It accounts for the dizziness and short breath..also that cloudy thinking.  It causes an inner ear incongruency between fluids that can cause ataxia (dizziness).  I had to use meds in my 30's for that problem to increase the oxygen cuz I couldn't even drive in a car or even turn around while walking with out getting "sea sick".  I've had periods of bloating but not so much now.  My metabolism has slowed down so much that if I eat more than one meal, I gain weight.  So I have to eat extremely small meals and only one that's normal. I've done a lot of research and I can't put it all into this e-mail.   Remember not to over do the Iron supplements because it can deposite like crystals in our veins and cappilaries and cause tearing therefore bleeding internally.  My e-mail address is   ***@****     Don't forget that God helps!
Helpful - 0
Hi all,

I was diagnosed today. This is the first time I've even heard of this disorder. Needless to say, I've been mis-diagnosed (anemia) all my life. At the ripe old age of 40, my hemotologist finally got it right! I have been tired ALL my life, cold hands and mainly cold feet. My sister complains about the same thing. I called my brother in Florida to tell him and he interupted me and started completing my sentences about being weak and tired. etc. So it seems all the kids got this from dear mum & dad. SHEEESH! Gee Thanks! How about giving us something we can really use...like ... hmmmm I don't know MONEY??

Let's not even talk about when my monthly cycle comes, some days I feel like I can't get out of bed, I'm so tired! It's reasuring to know that it's not "in my head" there are others out there who feel this way.

I would like to start a support group. Any ideas? email me

marilyn_romain***@****
Helpful - 0

I'm 22 and also have many of the same symptoms. I'm aways tired and have been through major depression due to my constant fatigue. I also have some trouble breathing after exercising and feel dizziness. I've been through many tests but doctors have told me that it's all in my head.  I wish something could be done to provide more awareness about the symptoms of thalassemia minor. I think more research needs to be done. Perhaps we should all get together and form a group or organization which promotes further research and awareness about this issue. Feel free to e-mail me at:

***@****
Helpful - 0
.
Helpful - 0
I am a 24 year old female from Sydney Australia, and i just want to say that i can relate to everything that all of you have stated as symptoms of thalassemia Minor.

When i was 12 years old i began getting these really intense migrains and i would loose my vision to the point that all i could see was like a white sheet over my eyes, i though i was going blind...this happened every few months or so and the only thing that would make it go away was me going to sleep in the darkest room possible for a good 10 hours or so......i had a number of tests at the childrens hospital and specialists e.t.c.....blood test, urine tests, ultra sounds, you name it and all the doctors said that i was perfectly fine blah blah blah i just had anemia which was no big deal.

(Not a big deal that my poor Mother was  freaking out cause her 12 yr old daughter would say 'Mum i can't see a thing')

It wasn't until i was 19 before they confirmed i had thalassemia Minor, mind you i specifically asked to be tested for thalassemia Minor.(because my Dad had it)....All the other blood tests i had prior to that never picked it up....

The doctors said that me being tired and dizzy had nothing to do with it...but after hearing you guys share your symptoms, i don't feel alone, or can now know that it is not my imagination...and these are genuine symptoms!!!

Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Blood Disorders Community

Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else