Can Beta-Thalassemia Minor have symptoms?

I am 22 years old and have been diagnosed with Beta Thallassemia minor by a doctor. All my life I have felt tired, had palpitations (When I was younger), flatulence and difficulty concentrating and fuzziness. I cannot really look people directly in the eye sometimes because its too hard on my eyes (it strains them) even though I have perfect vision. Doctors have told me that I need no treatment and that Thallassemia has no symtpoms. I go to sleep tired and I wake up tired. I can be tired after 12 hours sleep! Can I be suffering symptoms from my thallassemia. Does any one else feel the same way that I do? This is a little bit hard for me, but I don't want to complain.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
;
Helpful - 0
alc
Hello everyone.

I am 28 yo and I have thalessemia minor, as does my father. However, I have never experienced chronic tiredness as most of you in this thread have. I was one of the best athletes in high school, winning several awards for track&field, swimming, etc. Today I am still extremely energetic.

However, I have always been pale, which is most likely due to the thalassemia. I also have a tendency to feel depressed, which may or may not be related.

This extreme tiredness you all experience could probably be a result of some other illness. Perhaps sleep apneia? It can cause a lot of the symptoms you have described. I know this because my brother-in-law suffered from it.

I wish you all the best.
Helpful - 0
Hi Everyone.  Glad I found this forum.  I was diagnosed with Beta Thalassemia minor yesterday.  Went to the doc. for cyst on my ovary, had to take a blood test to find out if I have an infection, was diagnosed with minor anemia, additional blood test confirmed that anemia was due to Beta T Minor.  I am 26 years old.  For the past year or even more I had been feeling very tired, but lately it's at a point that it's sometimes even hard to sleep at night.  My Gyno has referred me to another doctor wihtout much info. on this issue because she does not specialize in blood disorders; so I had to do some research myself before I could see a specialist.  From my research I found out that BT Minor causes mild anemia which leads to fatigue, therefore yes, it does have symptoms.  

My question to all of you out there....my husband and I plan to get pregnant next year, do any of you know if Beta Thalassemia causes any complications during pregnancy or to the child?  I already feel so tired that I don't even know how my pregnancy is going to turn out because pregnancy on it's own can cause tiredness.  Also, I started taking multi-vitamins last week and that seems to be making my symptoms worse, could that be because of too much iron?  Anyone else felt this way?

My email me ***@****.  Good luck to each of you.

Saba
Helpful - 0
thank god i found this.22 male from turkey.got it from grandpa but he doesnt have any of these symptoms,even my father doesnt.they are successful people in politics with great health and energy.but i get tired easily,i get up very hard in the morning,i am pale and i usually forget important things like numbers,names..i cannot remember things i am supposed to and i get depressive because of this.sometimes i have problems with speaking or finishing my sentence and it really makes me crazy.i dont know if its related with beta-thal.minor but the worst thing is the puberty problem.i look younger than my age and i am very unhappy about it.i have been diagnosed last month first.now,after reading this forum,i dont know if i should be sad or happy.
***@****
Helpful - 0
Hi.
I am 54 yers old man, worked hard all my life, no sickness or anything up to when I hit 52. Pulpitation.
Test after test specialist after specialist...they have found out I am healthy as an ox.
My family doctor ordered a full blood test for my question and i found out I have this Beta Th...whatever.
I did a research on the NET and found a Chinese study that is saying the problem lies in the kidney.
The kidney is responsible for the building of marrow and that is causing the problem.
Anyway; my conclusion is to handle this "misalignment of geens" from my body I have to change my diet.
Just for curiosity I have changed it for only 2 days and the result is: more energy.
Still short on breath climbing stars but will get better after some workout.
So guys don't give up; we can handle this.
The scary part is the pulpitation; I never know if it was my last heartbeat or not....just have to live with it I guess.
Here is a link to the study:
http://www.itmonline.org/arts/thalassemia.htm

Godd luck to you all!
Hose
Helpful - 0
I was diagnosed with thalassemia minor about a year ago... I'm always confused, extremely tired and depressed.  I also feel really dizzy sometimes and have trouble breathing. I've been to many doctors in the past but since my oxygen level is at 100%, they think I'm imagining all of my symptoms.. when I was younger, I would get dizzy very easily to the point where I thought I would faint.. I went to many doctors but they all thought I was crazy because they couldn't find anything wrong with me..then I started taking clariton (allergy medication) and the dizziness decreased somehow.. thank god!!..

but now... the most irritating thing about the thalassemia trait for me is the depression.  I hate not being able to think clearly... I'm always tired.. and without antidepressant medication, I have trouble functioning due to a lack of energy which triggers major depression in me... I hate relying on medications.. especially depression medications which effect the mind and body... I'm 100% positive that if I wasnt constantly fatigued and had more energy, I wouldnt need these antidepresant medications....I pray that more research is done on this disease to help people like us...
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Blood Disorders Community

Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else