Can Beta-Thalassemia Minor have symptoms?

I am 22 years old and have been diagnosed with Beta Thallassemia minor by a doctor. All my life I have felt tired, had palpitations (When I was younger), flatulence and difficulty concentrating and fuzziness. I cannot really look people directly in the eye sometimes because its too hard on my eyes (it strains them) even though I have perfect vision. Doctors have told me that I need no treatment and that Thallassemia has no symtpoms. I go to sleep tired and I wake up tired. I can be tired after 12 hours sleep! Can I be suffering symptoms from my thallassemia. Does any one else feel the same way that I do? This is a little bit hard for me, but I don't want to complain.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I was diagnosed with thalassemia minor about a year ago... I'm always confused, extremely tired and depressed.  I also feel really dizzy sometimes and have trouble breathing. I've been to many doctors in the past but since my oxygen level is at 100%, they think I'm imagining all of my symptoms.. when I was younger, I would get dizzy very easily to the point where I thought I would faint.. I went to many doctors but they all thought I was crazy because they couldn't find anything wrong with me..then I started taking clariton (allergy medication) and the dizziness decreased somehow.. thank god!!..

but now... the most irritating thing about the thalassemia trait for me is the depression.  I hate not being able to think clearly... I'm always tired.. and without antidepressant medication, I have trouble functioning due to a lack of energy which triggers major depression in me... I hate relying on medications.. especially depression medications which effect the mind and body... I'm 100% positive that if I wasnt constantly fatigued and had more energy, I wouldnt need these antidepresant medications....I pray that more research is done on this disease to help people like us...
Helpful - 0

Helpful - 0
Hi folks. I'm 19 and I was diagnosed as a Beta Carrier 5 years ago. I have Majors (one died at the age of 11, the other is 7 years old, alive and doing excellently) in my family and it's nothing new to me. I get periods of tiredness and I always got cold feet. A month ago something weird happened. I went to see the Doc cos I was tired all the time and all I wanted to do was sleep or lie down. No matter how many hours I slept, I still couldn't brush away the tiredness. I was given vits and changed the type of iron tabs I was taking. Still my Hb level didn't perk up. Usually it's between 9 & 10. It went too low (8) and it's like I became a Major overnight! Currently I am on blood transfusions and Desferal shots. I have had 3 transfusions within a month. The docs are baffled. I'm told medically it's impossible for a Minor to become a Major. I live in Australia and Thalassemia is not common here, at least not in Melbourne. But I'm Maldivian, and Thalassemia is one of the most common diseases in the Maldives. I guess the little information on Thalassemia is getting to me. Anyone out there know anything about Thalassemia Trait turn into Thalassemia Major? If so, please e-mail me at ***@****.
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
Hi All,

It is amazing to see so many posts describing symptoms that I
Helpful - 0
hey everyone..I am 30 years old and have suffered from most of the symtoms above..tired all the time, but have insomnia as do the rest of my family that carries the trait. I noticed that no one listed dark circles under their eyes..I knew at 6 months old that my son had the diease because of the dark cirles..my mother actually has the white circles, and I do mean WHITE. I was also wondering if any or all experience the opposite effects with meds (need to take morning instead of night or vice versa)or caffiene (it actually makes me more tired)I am writing a research paper for school and would appreciate any info...***@****. almost every time I get blood drawn,i.v's I passout..does anyone else? I am also trying to find out whether or not there is any link between b.t.minor and leukemia/ Lymphoma.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Blood Disorders Community

Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else