Blood Disorders Community
946 Members

beta thalassemia??

M 23 weeks pregnant and my gyn/ob found out that I might have this disease..,and she wanted my husband to get the blood test as well..what if he does or doesn't hav it..is my baby gonna go through any disease?? Whats the way?
Hi!
Beta thalassemia is inherited as an autosomal recessive trait. So if only one of the gene has mutation, the child will have thalassemia minor, which you also probably have. Thus the baby will lead a normal life. However, if your husband also has thalassemia minor/major, then the chances of the baby having thalassemia major or an autosomal dominant trait is pretty high. This can cause major problems for the baby after birth, including frequent blood transfusions. This is the reason doctors ask both the parents to undergo the test. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else