Is my mother borderline, or does she have Complex PTSD?

My mother was diagnosed as Borderline by all except 1 Psychologist who is an expert of Borderline PD and does not believe she has it. She has behavioral patterns where she will say things that are hurtful and she sounds very borderline. She also has PTSD. Could she have Complex PTSD and not Borderline? I read about people who have Borderline and they make their children feel unloved. But I know my Mom loves me. My sister on the other hand feels more like the child of a Borderline. However, I do think my Mom's petty blow ups could be related to PTSD? I don't know how to tell, but her behavior is impacting my life more and more.
Sorry, without know more I can't tell you for sure.  I do however, suffer from both myself amoung other things, such as explosive personality disorder.

So the only thing I can provide for you is my prayers as you will need strength to see you through & lots of guidance of how to help your mother heal.

Debra
I have both BPD and PTSD.   Your mom may too.  There should be a checklist of symptoms on the DBT site by Marsha Linehan.  It's definitely in her workbook.  If your mom answers yes to most of the symptoms, then she probably has it.  It sounds to me like she does.  Good luck in finding out.
Its really hard to say about BPD vs. PTSD however most BPD have major unresolved trauma. I know this is true for my mother and she is borderline. She is difficult and makes my life difficult. I have asked her about dealing with her trauma and she states that it does not effect who she is today.

At least your mother is seeing a psychiatrist and getting help for PTSD is a great start regardless of the diagnosis.

You are reading content posted in the Borderline Personality Disorder Community

The first signs of HIV may feel like the flu, with aches and a fever.
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.