Brain Jolts Please Help

Hello, thank you for your time. I am 24 years old and ive been dealing with a horrible issue since 2011. For days, weeks or sometimes even months at a time i feel these sharp "jolt" type pains from in my head. The pains only last a split second and happen multiple times a minute when im having a bad episode. The pains feel like they are coming from the center of my head or very deep in my ears. I've been to 8 different neurologist and have gotten all kinds of MRI scans on my cervical spine and brain and they come back clean. I have been to a dentist and ENT, chiropractor, cardiologist and even tried acupuncture but nothing worked. These pains come and go. Ill be fine for 5 months without a problem and then out nof nowhere boom 5 months of feeling these "Jolts". And that's no exaduaration these pains can literally last 5 months straight. ALso when this acts up i always feel like i want to close my eyes and my neck always hurts and i cant get comfortable. I suffered a concussion in 2006 from boxing. thats the only trauma i have had. All blood results come back normal also. I had an occipital enrve block twice and they didnt work but my sergeon still thinks it can be occipital nueralgia and is now suggesting a nerve decompression surgery. I am also scheduled for a Facet Nerve block and if the facet block doesnt work i may go through with the decompression surgery. Any ideas on anything that may be causing this issue???!!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have heard of people experiencing this when they discontinued or reduced their dose of antidepressant medication, but I assume that's not what is going on with you, or one of your doctors would have talked with you about it.  I'm so sorry you are having to go through this.  It seems the doctors are taking you seriously, because they are giving you treatment, but if a nerve block did not work, I would have to have a pretty good explanation as to why surgery would work, before I would consent to surgery.  If there is an MRI showing compression of the occipital nerve, or even if your symptoms are very clearly due to a problem with the occipital nerve, then maybe occipital nerve decompression surgery does make sense, but that's the kind of evidence I would want to see.  Is the facet nerve block supposed to be diagnostic?
Helpful - 0
Travis, were your MRI scans done with contrast dye?

have you learned anything since your original post?

The jolts you describe sound miserable. Yikes
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Brain Health Community

14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.