Aa
A
A
A
Close
Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
2.2k Members

Unable to have MRI

I have been experiencing headaches and dizziness over the past weeks. I also discovered that my pupils were different sizes with variable see-saw aniscoria (alternates eyes and occasionally same size). I was seen by an opthamologist who measured 1mm difference in my pupils and referred me to a neuro-opthamologist. I was evaluated by a neuro-opthamologist and the day I saw him my eyes were normal with no difference in pupil size. I was told that I had physiologic aniscoria and no further evaluation was neccessary. In light of my other symptoms, I am still going to get a CAT scan. I am concerned, however, because I have a defibrillator and am unable to have MRIs. It is my understanding that the CAT scan can not pick up certain things and I am concernd about a tumor being missed because I can not obtain an MRI. Can you please comment on the differences between a CAT scan and an MRI and how concerned I should be about not being able to obtain an MRI? Can you suggest the best way to proceed with getting a diagnosis given the complications of having a defibrillator?

Thank in advance,
Erica
1 Responses
COMMUNITY LEADER
The CT and MRI are different yes but often CTs are used as a first scan. CTs use radiation - more of a 3D x-ray and MRIs use magnets to get pictures. They use different contrasts as well. I have seen it where they want both as they show different things but I would not fret - unless the lesion is super small, it should show up fine in a CT. I get MRIs as my tumors are on the pituitary and those are tiny and do not show up well on the CT. But I have had many of both.

I see a neuro-optho as well and I have a difference in my pupils at times - but 1mm is not considered significant. Depending on the location of your tumor, you may have to get visual field tests. That is important if they suspect a tumor - to see if it is pressing on the optic nerves at all.

Keep us posted on the CT. Have you seen an ENT to rule out other causes?
Top Cancer Answerers
Northern, NJ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.