Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community

astrocytoma recurrance

I have recently been told that I am having a recurrance of a low grade astrocytoma of my left temoral lobe. My original surgery was done in June of 2008. This time around, I would prefer to not have a craniotomy. Have any of you had a laser thermal ablation (or known someone who has)? If so, how is the recovery? Also, what are the recurrance averages? If you don't mind, I would like to have information on this from those of you who have gone through this procedure, or from anybody who practices it. Thanks, in advance, to anyone who has anything to say about it.
COMMUNITY LEADER
I have not heard of the laser treatment being used except as an experimental treatment - is it mainstream now? Can you get into a study where it is being used? Have you looked into the clinical studies? What is your doctor recommending?

I know of different types of radiation - gamma, cyber knife and proton beam.

I personally have had a different type of lesion so I cannot comment personally so hopefully someone can come along and answer you with the experience like you had.